Chinese-Forums

My comic idea

Mavericker

Hi-people asked me about mt comic idea. Well, you asked for it:

Streetfighting cats & dogs who fight crime-it's a multicultural comic-it's Catillac Cats meets Street Fighter. They meet with other groups of streetfighting cats & dogs around their town, the country and the world and become allies and help in their fight against evil and become part of their group, & fight evil streetfighting cats and dogs.

The heroes will sometimes become superheroes & the villians supervillians.

Typical things that happen-they find a valubale mineral reseve under the town-the military gets involved and the bad guys want to get their hands on the mineral.

The heroes work on some new defense tech and the villians go and spy on them.

The villians plot to find ways to get rid of the heroes.

The heroes meet with pals/relatives and it's a chance to stop local baddies in those areas.

The main character decides to fight crime 'cause his dad was a cop.

His sidekick is more brains than brawn and they both have a scientific prodigy friend they go to for tech help.

Also:

I have a doppelganger/clone that was was created from the hero as a result of some scientific experiment and he turned out to be evil, and he was just created, either intentionally or by accident. What would his first PUBLIC act of violence or evil be? Initially and logically he'd do something to hurt the hero before going out in public. The clone is the arch-villain in the series and he vies to eventually get back at the hero and destroy him and his friends- he wants to get rid of all the heroes and take over the town and eventually the world and make it a safe haven for him and other baddies. He also eventually starts a gang to help him.

The best I could do for his first evil PUBLIC act of violence or evil was terrorize and torture a group of scouts and steal their Swiss knives. I wanted it to be something heinous-he's sort of on a journey of self-discovery to find out how bad he can be.

I thought of making him steal money but he'd have to have a reason for doing that and he'd have to discover the value of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve on this, or suggestions for better ideas that would work? Please let me know.

Other people suggested:

The evil clone should either witness a public local appearance of some celeb, steal someone's tickets out of curiousity and attack the celeb, or witness a local robbery, assist the robbers and assault the hostages and make sure it's all caught on tape.

In either scenario he'd get notoriety points.

What do you guys think? Do you have advice about how to improve on it?

Sounds fun.

This idea sounds like it doesn't really need Taiwanese Hokkien. Why not replace the Taiwanese streetfighters with streetfighters who speak a language that you have access to? Go to the library or bookstore and take a look at the resources there. If you find a swear word dictionary in Catalan or Swahili or Irish or whatever, consider replacing the Taiwanese in your comic with some other nationality. It will make things a lot easier for you.

Good luck with the comic!

Interesting idea.

Again, I really don't understand how anyone will be able to PRONOUNCE the Hokkien/Minnanhua/Taiwanese romanization?????

If you posted an example of a dialogue (as asked for previously) people might be able to see how things fit together.

Chit ku li na e-hiau, chin gau.

Well Lu, I meant I have a few friends here who were trying to help me-I have a few friends elsewhere who were trying to help. I ask for and take help wherever I can get it.

Have you heard from Fireball9261? Fireball9261 was helping me out a while ago.

If I had some Asian characters with names like Honcho, Kamikaze, Gung Ho and Shanghai would that offend people?

If I had some Asian characters with names like Honcho, Kamikaze, Gung Ho and Shanghai would that offend people?
Offend I don't know ([deleted because of mix-up]), but it sure sounds very stupid. Why not pick some real Chinese and Japanese names. Edited by Lu

Offend I don't know (someone named Kamikaze might offend Japanese), but it sure sounds very stupid. Why not pick some real Chinese and Japanese names.

Lu, those particular characters are Asian Americans and those names are nicknames.

Why would "kamikaze" be offensive?

Edited by Mavericker

[edit: strike everything I said about the word kamikaze, I had it all mixed up.]

My advice is to pick some real Chinese and American names and nicknames, not just some vaguely eastern words you found in the dictionary.

(Actually, my advice is to take out the entire Asian angle, since the research is taking way more time and effort than it's worth, but it seems you insist on keeping that part.)

Edited by Lu

Seppuku? Thank you Lu-I'll use that. My research isn't taking that long-you have to ask the right people. I'm doing research on other foreign languages as well.

I am using real Asian words as nicknames for my Asian characters, like "cu ren" and "bao tuo" and "nan ren po" and "ah leng:. :D

From dictionary.com:

dictionary results for: kamikaze

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

ka·mi·ka·ze /ˌkɑmɪˈkɑzi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kah-mi-kah-zee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. (during World War II) a member of a special corps in the Japanese air force charged with the suicidal mission of crashing an aircraft laden with explosives into an enemy target, esp. a warship.

2. an airplane used for this purpose.

3. a person or thing that behaves in a wildly reckless or destructive manner: We were nearly run down by a kamikaze on a motorcycle.

–adjective

4. of, pertaining to, undertaken by, or characteristic of a kamikaze: a kamikaze pilot; a kamikaze attack.

[Origin: 1940–45; < Japn, equiv. to kami(y) god (earlier *kamui) + kaze wind (earlier *kanzai]

Would people be offended about the term "kamikaze" because of the first definition?

Edited by Mavericker