Chinese-Forums

Which of these podcasts do you like best?

leosmith

Which of these 3 podcasts do you like the best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of these 3 podcasts do you like the best?

• cslpod
    • imandarinpod
    • chineselearnonline
    • no preference
    • other (please explain)

In addition, being able to rewind and play stuff over is nice. And hearing formal speech is something you probably wouldn't get from a language partner.

But really, I think you are better off having a well-balanced learning program that includes both conversation with native speakers (maybe in the form of language partners) and comprehensible listening material (maybe in the form of podcasts).

Podcasts can be more than merely listening material. Theoretically they could teach you grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and even reading and writing if there are transcripts. I prefer to use them only for listening practice when I'm just trying to maintain my language. But on the rare occasions when I'm actively studying (like right now), I use them for listening and vocabulary. They are an excellent resource.

But podcasts cannot teach you conversation. I think you are right to include language partners in your studies beginning early on, and all the way through to fluency.

As only 4 people have voted on this poll, can one deduce that podcasts are not a popular learning tool?

I think that most people studying Mandarin these days listen to podcasts at least some of the time. ChinesePod commands a huge number of downloads, though not as many as when all their podcasts were free. However, this poll excludes ChinesePod because it was set up to ask for “the best free intermediate podcast” (per the OP).

But I think I would agree with you that at the intermediate level and above, podcasts may have less relative value, as other material starts to become accessible, such as film, radio, print, and everyday conversations. From what I’ve gathered, at a certain point of competence, many people will reach a level of comfort and stay there. ChinesePod is ideal for that market by supplying a never ending stream of lighthearted podcasts that go around in an endless circle within each of 5 levels. Also, I think you can deduce that the market for intermediate level learners just isn’t all that large (it’s largest at the beginner level) and that the podcasts listed in this poll, while all very good, unfortunately, aren't all that well known.

I'd agree with that - by the intermediate level a lot of people have given up, and many of those remaining will have found resources such as audio-books, 'native' Chinese podcasts, music, movies, that they enjoy using.

• 9 months later...

I think ChinesePod (CP) wins hands-down. I mean the premium (paid) version, what little is still available free of charge is near zero. Nothing compares to CP in terms of sheer amount of material and community.

Regarding iMandarinPod, unlike a previous poster I rather like their emphasis on Chinese culture and customs. This is perhaps because I'm doing CP, which is not at all oriented towards culture and customs. I'm all for learning modern Chinese applicable to modern situation but I welcome the opportunity to catch up with traditional stuff too. Remember, the Forbidden City has been standing for centuries and will stand for many more centuries with a bit of luck, while the latest internet hype will be as dead as yesterday's newspaper in a couple of years.

Regarding iMandarinpod, they have one big shortcoming which I pointed out to them. They often speak out wrong examples in their podcasts (they say "one should say bla-bla-bla, one should not say bli-bli-bli"). Now the "bli-bli-bli" part is something I do not want to hear because it is wrong! I'll be listening to their podcast more than once and wrong examples are going to get imprinted in my mind and that is something I want to avoid. Never mind the fact that the wrong examples are preceded by a negative recommendation: if you hear something, you are likely to remember it as such. I pointed out this was something serious and they answered back saying they were going to look into it.