Chinese-Forums

Mausoleum of Wu Zetian

bhchao

Many people outside of China are familiar with hearing about Qin Shi Huang's tomb and its terracotta warriors. Another famous tomb, the Qianling tomb of Wu Zetian, has not been excavated. Her tomb has a empty tablet with no words. Why did she leave an empty tablet at her tomb?

I read that she was a power-hungry ruler who used whatever means to achieve the highest position. Although her personal behavior was scandalous, she ruled competently and Tang Dynasty was prosperous during her reign. She promoted people based on talent instead of birthright, like Di Renjie.

She lowered taxes on peasantry and maintained aggressive foreign policy.

It's said that the economic prosperity she maintained gave a secure foundation for the cultural blossoming under Tang Ming Huang.

Considering this legacy, do you think her tomb should be opened? Refusing to open it would show a form of respect, but there is also the possibility of discovering ancient Tang relics that could be preserved for future generations.

I can't make the quote thing work, but

"...she ruled competently and Tang Dynasty was prosperous during her reign. She promoted people based on talent instead of birthright, like Di Renjie.

She lowered taxes on peasantry and maintained aggressive foreign policy.

It's said that the economic prosperity she maintained gave a secure foundation for the cultural blossoming under Tang Ming Huang."

I think would normally be described as a benevolent and wise ruler, rather than power hungry -- IF she'd been a man.

I'm sure there would be much to be learned from her tomb.

I had once read sth about her,

the reasons could be concluded as three

1, she thought herself had contributed and achieved too much, no word can really decribe her contribution and achievements.

2, she wanted the later generation to do all the judgement.

2, she felt giulty about robbing the Li's (her husband's family name) throne, if she write anything like "her contribution or achievements"will make that generation hate her more.she is a women, she is not supposed to be an empress in ancient china.

There's actually a whole debate on the topic in Chinese if anyone cares to read more http://culture.people.com.cn/GB/22226/67940/index.html

Thanks for the link. I read some of the comments there and it looks people are divided either between permanently not digging at all; leaving the digging responsibility to future generations; digging to extract the relics for national preservation and cultural appreciation; or waiting for the proper technologies.

I liked what this person said:

对于个人来说,谁都想看看这个千古之迷,里面的东西也可以研究历史,但是国内的科技水平还不先进够,保护不够的话,墓地打开之时,很可能马上被风化,这样不但研究不成历史,反而会破坏历史

The stakes are higher here because it is the only Tang tomb that has escaped unscathed from grave robbers. The foundations were too strong to breach by robbers in the past. And it is the only tomb that holds two emperors.

Edited by bhchao