Chinese-Forums

QQ for Linux and Mac, natively

Hero Doug

The links come from QQ.com, which I believe is owned by tencent, so hopefully they'll be legit and free of spyware.

Does anyone know about these releases? I'm not really concerned about viruses so much as I'm concerned about spyware.

This is the one app that has always held me back from making the complete switch to Linux (my wife uses it). Hopefully I'll finally be able to dump XP forever.

One problem I noticed though is that it doesn't seem to be able to send files, and the latest release for Ubuntu is the Fiesty distribution.

I hope they put some effort into this.

Here is the link for Linux

http://im.qq.com/qq/linux/

Here is the link for Mac

http://im.qq.com/qq/mac/

Yes, they are limited programs currently without all the features on the Windoze versions, but these are alpha releases. If you need more features I suggest using LumaQQ on both platforms and for platform specific applications I suggest Adium X for Mac OS X and Pidgin for Linux.

I tried to go to the LumaQQ site and noticed it was down (at least for me).

I'll probably use Pidgin for now, but I'm glad to see Tencent developing their own version of the messenger. It is quick and it does look a lot like the WIndows version. It they implement video chatting and file transfers then think they'll have a leg up on the competition.

Also, it's good to see Linux and Mac getting attention from a Chinese company, I'm a firm believer in choice.

• 1 month later...
This is the one app that has always held me back from making the complete switch to Linux (my wife uses it). Hopefully I'll finally be able to dump XP forever.

That was what I thought when I downloaded the mac version of QQ on my macbook a few months again for my wife. It solved the chat issue (to a certain extent).

But it's not being able to access QQ blog sites (including her own), or play majiang etc, because all the features run from .exe files that really annoys her. I ended up bootcamping XP anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...