Chinese-Forums

Good English Elem-Int HSK books

my3rdlang

The Boya series markets itself as being in accordance with HSK guidelines. I've worked through the Intermediate, and now on the Advanced. They're good textbooks.

I also recommend the New Practical Chinese Reader series. I'm not sure that they'll help directly with HSK. However, at the elementary level, everything is relevant and in some way, shape or form will indirectly help with the HSK.

The practice books I have seen offer simple explanations in Chinese and actually are simpler than the HSK test itself which I think you probably should be able to understand if you are going for the intermediate.

Imron did a good review a while back ( or I think it was Imron) on a text book that analysed some 23 patterns in the listening sections, things like (numbers, time, ….23) which I think is good.

Whilst I may change my mind when I get to that level, my impression is that, if you can't understand the material from the Chinese language text books, you are nowhere near the old Intermediate level.

The other point about HSK is that you are misusing it if you try and learn to pass it rather than using it to test your learning. If too many people start doing that, either a lot of people will suddenly find they cannot understand the courses that the HSK grade qualifies them for, or the HSK level will have to rise, making it more difficult for people who are not studying specifically to pass it.