Chinese-Forums

LCC (Learn Chinese Characters) Multimedia Program

gkung

I have created a LCC (Learn Chinese Characters) multimedia learning program which helps people read and write Chinese characters. For each character entry, it gives the English definitions, Pinyin and Zhuyin annotations, cross reference of simplified/traditional character (if applicable), radical, number of strokes (excluding the radical), word examples and definitions. You can also hear the character pronounced through the speaker and see an animation of the writing.

The program runs on IBM compatible PC with Windows 3.1 or higher. You can visit the following web site to download (free) the program:

http://www.georgekung.com/LearnChineseCharacters.html

I don't know your source of this statement. 3500 seems to be low for a coverage rate of 99.5%

I believe this is intended for the discussion of another thread (Read Chinese Without Knowing Chinese) :wink:

99.5% looks like high for me at first glimpse too, but it's from the statistic number that people get when doing Chinese character frequency list. It's obtained by parsing large amount of common documents. It means that 1 out of 200 characters (in average) will be from characters that are not in the most frequently list of 3,500. I suppose the selection of samples can make some differences, but if most of them are from (regular) newspapers then I feel this number is okay. I am judging this using my own experience - one page of newspaper may contain 3,000 or 4,000 characters and usually I have fewer than 3 characters that I don't know. I believe the total number of characters I know is 3,500 or so, if not fewer. (I have a dictionary that contains 4,000 characters but there are many characters I don't know). If I can depend on this number then it sort of suggestes that the rate should be 99.9%+.