Chinese-Forums

Intensive Mandarin Course in/near PanYu, GuangZhou please?

MissMimi

Hello,

Similar to someone else's post on here, I am also looking for a school that offers intensive courses about 4 hours a day, Monday to Friday. My goal is to learn to learn properly from the beginning - reading, writing, speaking and listening. I already speak Cantonese but am starting from nothing for Mandarin.

I am looking to start Nov or Dec 2008. I've looked at a few universities but most of them only seem to offer full year courses, which I do not have the time to do. I'm hoping to be able to fully converse in Mandarin, hopefully to write and read at a basic level.

I'm looking for places where I can take a sample class to be sure that it's the right fit.

A lot of other schools don't offer an intensive M-F programme, or weren't in a convenient location for me (I will be living in PanYu). Also, some schools were just outrageously priced (USD 1500 for 10 days!!!).

Any help would be highly appreciated and of course, I will share whatever I find.

Mimi

A lot of universities allow you to enroll mid-semester, with discounted tuition. I just signed up for classes at Zhongshan university last week for about 1000RMB less than the regular tuition price. The school's a bit far from Panyu but you can take the subway directly there. I don't think they let you can take any sample classes though.

You can also try South China Normal University or Jinan University. Both are easily accessible by subway. Just go to the registration office and ask them if you can apply mid-semester.

Another option is to have a university student be your tutor. Most of them are bilingual and can help you learn the Mandarin equivalents of Cantonese words and expressions. I find that to be one of the easier ways to improve my Mandarin.