Chinese-Forums

Cycling in shanghai

adrianlondon

When I lived in Beijing for half a year, I very quickly bought a bike and cycled virtually everywhere. It was flat, the weather was usually OK (pollution aside) and I got to explore and see loads.

I'm going to Shanghai for a week and would love to do the same (probably renting/borrowing rather than buying though). It seems Shanghai just isn't as cycle friendly with the crazy traffic and many of the roads closed to bicycles. Anyone know? Is it possible to stick a bike on the train from Shanghai to e.g. Suzhou or Hangzhou?

Also, anyone know of a bike to rent/borrow for a week in November?

So many questions! So many knowledgable people here on Chinese Forums ;)

There was a bicycle shop near 苏州工艺学院 (Can't recall its actual name now!?)

They did bicycle hiring, so I got myself a bike and cycled all the way to Zhouzhuang 周庄 from Suzhou.

It took me some 4-5 hours, the view was okay but road was a bit bumpy.

Guess what? I got saddle sores afterwards. Ha ha!

So remember to rub lots of Vaseline between your inner thighs and groin!

Jialihai Jiejie

Thanks for the tips - however, I've got no problem with cycling long distances except ... it's bloody hard to do it without a bike.

Was your bike hire place in Shanghai? I'm a bit confused where you said you hired one from, I assume Shanghai, but then cycled from Suzhou.

Thanks for the info. Ideally, I want to hire one for a week, but having done some checking (I had the same issue when I visited Beijing for a week last year) it's cheaper to buy one than hire one for a week. And if I manage to sell it afterwards then it's a bonus ;)

Ha ha... I actually bought one after the trip.

But I gave it to a friend before I left the country.

It was rather cheap so it wasn't too bad!

The only trouble: you probably still have to register your bike with local police, which is quite odd?!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

In shanghai and sure others cities , 75% of the road have a cycle path , but it’s

often made with a simple painting line on the ground , not a metal fence . But it’s ok .

Million of shanghai people do it every day cycle or electric bike or scooter .

I bike and use a gaz scooter also . No need of papers or licenses .

Here in shanghai it’s rarely raining ., delicious for cycling , especially at night , the traffic

is low , and their is light every where at night . i do it every day , no problem at all . But

it’s very important to stay at the right side , you stick to the sidewalk and watch out at

each cross road . If you are careful no problems , it’s an easy staff .

To rent a bike in shanghai is quite difficult , i know only three local shops , and they are

far from the city center . Sometimes when i travel , i need a bike for one day or two , i

do so . A resourceful friend show me how to do it .

You just ask somebody an employee at your hotel or outside in a shop close to your

hotel , a vivid shop for example , a hair dresser shop or a real estate shop a in china ,

there are often ten employees in this kind of shop , used to talk to people walking in the

street .

You watch their bike and explain your situation , you want to visit the city by bike . you

said that you pay him 40 or 50 yuans for the day ,

You say i give you 40 yuans , if you lend me your bike for the day , and at the same time

you give him 300 yuans deposit the value of one bike here , generally the bike you

wanted is not free , the owner need it , but they are happy of this happening , watching

a foreigner on a bike with our hairy legs make them laugh , then often they will find

another bike that somebody from this shop is happy to lend to you .

Generally you end up with a local bike with no gear , but you can have your good time ,

cycle one day or two.

He or she give you back your 300 deposit , because he or she work in this shop , and

want to keep a good reputation .

You give him the 40 yuans and offer a large good brand packet of candy after .