Chinese-Forums

Converting STK files into JPG or PDF? (Isoshu.com & eREAD 7.0)

ABCinChina

I recently found a good Chinese eBook site called IsoShu which has free manga, novels, fiction, business, life, and spirit books. The format of these books are in STK format which requires the use of eREAD 7.0. The problem is that the software somehow blocks me from getting screen captures with the Print Screen button as well as with my picture grabber software. My Chinese is not at the level where I can read without a popup translator, so ideally I'd like to capture the pages in JPG format then do an OCR conversion into PDF or Word form. Does anybody have experience with this?

Edit: I've tried out 3 screen capture software programs but eREAD is very smart and will always close the program before I can get a capture. I got a capture once, but then eREAD closed the file before I could save. Then it remembered that specific screen capture program and closed it very efficiently the next time around.

2nd Edit: Finally I downloaded a program called HandySnap that did the trick. I captured the pages and turned them into jpg format, and then OCR'd it into word format. Unfortunately, Chinese OCR software is not all it's cracked up to be and I can only get 85% accuracy because of the font the book used is not the most standard font. What a waste of an entire day! :cry:

Edited by ABCinChina

What you are asking to do is illegal in both the USA and UK. In the USA is it is the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) which makes it illegal to circumvent technical copy protection measures. There are both civil and criminal penalties, in the DMCA, although there has to be an element of financial gain for the criminal ones to apply.

You may well find that China has similar legislation.

It was for personal use so there would be no financial gain here. It didn't work out as planned so I've given up anyways.

Edit: But for anyone that wants free books, they can go to the website I mentioned above. The only thing is that your Chinese reading must be very good because you can't cut and paste the words into a dictionary.

Edited by ABCinChina