Chinese-Forums

SCNU or Jinan University, Guangzhou, which one is beter?

Drache

Hi there!

I will come to Guangzhou to study Chinese for the spring semester 2009. (starting from February 2009 till August 2009).

I have already got admission from Jinan University. On the other hand I have just received admission from South China Normal University also in Guangzhou. The point is that according to my search through internet, both universities seem to be fine and both universities offer similar Chinese courses for similar prices and both universities have accomodation opportunity in their dorms on the campus. What I need to know is that;

1- Which university has beter dorms as accomodation? I mean that the dorms of which university are more comfortable?

2- Which university has a beter learning environment?

3- Which university has more foreign students? (Which university is chosen mostly by foreign students? And why?)

4- Which university has more social and sports activities?

5- Do these universities offer Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese Chinese courses?

6- Can a cantonese chinese speaking person understand a Mandarin speaking person?

To sum up, which university is beter for me in your opinion?

Could someone who has already studied in one of these universities or know anything about these universities could help me please? Your reply will certainly help me decide on the choice of the university! Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Don't go to SCNU if you were accepted to Jinan. Jinan is usually referred to as the best. SCNU is passable, but it's the cheapest school in GZ for poorer people perhaps, but mainly it is a "teacherage". (Is that the correct term? It's a "normal" Uni, it teaches people to be teachers.)

1. Jinan does would guess. I go to SCNU all the time ( I work there part time) and it's kind of a dump.

2. That probably doesn't matter/I can't say for sure as I am not a student at either.

3. Jinan - because it is one of the best Uni in Guangdong Province along with Sun-Yat Sen. I think they are something like top 10'ers nationally. SCNU is an "unknown" nationally.

4. No comment, as I am not a student at either, but I don't see people doing sports at SCNU. There is 3 or 4 tennis courts, 1? Basketball court, and the 1 track for running. I have yet to see anyone playing anything other than tennis or bball there, other than the times when the kids have to do military training.

5. You will be learning Mandarin

6. Can a cantonese speaker who only knows Cantonese understand a mandarin speaker? No, they are different languages. Can "most" everyone in Guangdong who speaks Cantonese also speak Mandarin? Yes, it's the "common speech" after all. The average chinese person who has gone to school will speak Mandarin.

Summary: Jinan > SCNU imo.

• 10 months later...

Hi!

Are there electives for long term chinese learning courses (6-12months) in Jinan university like in other universities eg Jiao Tong University (Shanghai) and Tianjin University of Technology (CIE of TUT)?

Do the dorms have public or private bathrooms in jinan university? Are they (bathroom + room) decent in western standards?

• 2 weeks later...
Are there electives for long term chinese learning courses (6-12months) in Jinan university

Yes. They are held in the afternoons.

Do the dorms have public or private bathrooms in jinan university? Are they (bathroom + room) decent in western standards?

Decent enough. Shower only. No long hours of aroma therapy in a cosy bathtub, if that's what you mean by western standards.