Chinese-Forums

What do you do with money?

Bokaypure

In the past I would have made sure I had at least enough cash for a few nights accommodation on hand if I was traveling. For a long while I had enough cash for an emergency flight out of town in a drawer, but that was more down to being paid in cash and not bothering to go to the bank than any fear of imminent social unrest. I've now ended up with I think five different bank and credit cards, which don't all live in the same place, so I'm content with that. If I'm ever in a situation where I can't get money from any of them, then civilization has probably collapsed and I'll be too busy fighting off zombie hordes or mutant killer rats or disappointed Republicans to worry about cash.

Those of you who do carry emergency cash - don't do what I once did and use it as a bookmark in a borrowed book, and then return said book.

Yes yonglin I have been to China and I have seen numerous Chinese ATMs in non-bank locations, such as in hotels (big and small, eg. Wangfujing Da Jiudian in Beijing and Pujiang Hotel / Astor House in Shanghai.) I've seen them in malls, local markets, supermarkets, etc. I stick to bank locations or places I trust (e.g., the ones at Carrefour.) However, I travel extensively world-wide and my comments are not limited to China.

Through operating agreements, international networked ATMs are required to display the network logos. Exceptions are likely domestic ATMs recently converted to connect to international networks. Some international cards are accepted by domestic ATMs (non-PLUS or Cirrus) but that's another discussion in itself.

Often international banks (including Chinese banks) do not consistently support foreign cards. I've seen Chinese banks having a row of ATMs in their lobby, with only a subset supporting foreign cards. I've seen the same situation in Indonesia. The trick again is to look for the network logo to distinguish between them. In Venezuela, I saw an ATM from one bank supporting Cirrus, but in a different city the same bank's ATMs support only PLUS (don't get me started on Venezuelan ATMs) I haven't tested every ATM in China but wouldn't be surprised if a similar situation exists.

Being in the financial industry, I can tell you that it's not uncommon of for banks to completely shut off all ATM withdrawals for all their customers traveling to a particular city, country or region. E.g., for Wells Fargo to decline all ATM debits from all of UK, or for all Dubai Bank ATM cards to be blocked internationally.

Sounds far fetched? Both of these actually happened, affecting numerous travelers who ran out of cash.

Emergency funds is a form of insurance. Many choose to travel abroad without health insurance either, but do so at their own peril. Personally I keep traveler's cheques and maintain an adequate amount of cash.

• 3 months later...
Nationwide in the UK give you free withdrawals with no loading on the exchange rate.

As a heads up for anyone with a Nationwide account who uses the card for cheap withdrawals - as of May there will be an exchange rate loading. Still less than most though. Details on MSE.

hmmm i can't remember what I did when I arrived in China, I think I brought travelors checks & cash..but if you absolutely want to bring a few stashes of cash do the following:

Buy a puffy vest, cut it open a bit from the inside, insert money, and sew it up. I don't think it all that uncommon for people tp sew money into their clothes in China when traveling since not everyone uses banks and such:mrgreen: i am guessing you are not a female, but if you are, I also recommend removing the inserts in a certain item of 'clothing', and stuff in rolled cash to make up the difference. But just be carefull not to bend anything up too much, banks don't like battered bills out there.