Chinese-Forums

Youku's new iKu player

imron

Don't know of anything specific, but it does have it:

Koo said his company takes "a proactive stance towards copyrighted material," by screening out unauthorized content, and seeking out rights holders to create partnerships. Youku counts Shanghai Media Group, Beijing TV and Hong Kong's Television Broadcasts Ltd. (TVB) as partners for television content, and has agreements with film distributor China Film Group and studio Huayi Brothers.

Maybe the terms of the agreements include this, or maybe nobody cares.

• 3 months later...

I wish that iKu had an English version of their user interface. I've just downloaded it and started using it. I am downloading one video with it right now and I'll see how it goes.

@renzhe: clipnabber seems to be broken. I always get error messages like this from their site:

Error: Could not connect to specified URL (http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_ca00XMTA4NDEwMzY=.html)

That URL is OK, but clipnabber seems to be blocked from reaching it.

• 6 months later...

hi...I'm not sure if its just me. But I downloaded the player to my windows pc, but the characters in the dialog boxes and menu are unreadable. Its looks jargonised. They dun look like a chinese characters, more like disfigured data. How do i fix this?

btw..is there a version for mac? i'm actually a mac user at home.

thanks

A possible solution to the unreadable characters. Many Chinese software makers use "non-unicode fonts".

In Windows control panel you can set the default "non-unicode font" in Windows control panel, regions and languages to whatever you like. You will have to restart Windows for it to work.

The downside is that a lot of software makers use the default "non-unicode font" to set the display language of the installed software. The better software allows you to select the display language.

To prevent that problem, before you install new software, you have to set the non-unicode font to the language you want to use for the software. And then after the install return to the "non-unicode font" you want to use. A reboot is required for each change.

Hope that helps.

Hi Philliplean,

i've tried your method. It looks good when it is set to Chinese PRC non-unicode. As per your guide, i rebooted after every change. But at the final change when i switched back to English (US), it goes back to square one. So i thought maybe i'll just switch the Chinese PRC permanently.

Now that it looks fine...except that my browser now looks bigger. My downloaded videos are not found in iKu anymore. I can find them in my My Videos folder, but I can't convert them to mp4 for my iphone. How do i get them back into iKu?

oh..as for the applocale...i read...it seems..it is not recommended.

Thanks...

Yes, you need to keep that value set permanently to Chinese - unless you use AppLocale, which allows you to set this on a per application basis.

Where did you read AppLocale is not recommended, and not recommended for what purpose? For XP, it is the preferred way as specified by Microsoft to run non-Unicode applications with a different locale. Microsoft doesn't have a version for Vista, however you can install the XP version if you run it from an elevated command prompt (see here for more info).

They want to discourage programmers and developers from using things like AppLocale, because nowadays programs should be written using Unicode. That's good advice for programmers writing new programs, but for end-users who want to run legacy apps, the only other option is to keep the locale for non-unicode apps as Chinese (unless you like regularly resetting your machine), and as you noticed that has a system-wide affect on other programs.

Thanks Imron..for the note..

yes..i kinda read briefly when I went into the site u gave. Probably i din read the details when i keep seeing..not recommended phrases. But in anycase, if i install...it shouldn't be too complicated I hope...no extra commands..or something?

the other issue..while i was re-installing my iku..my downloaded videos got disconnected from the player library (I can still find it in My Videos folder), but since I can't find it under the downloaded video tab in iku player..i can't convert it to mp4 for my iphone. anyway to reverse that?

I don't know how to fix the Iku player, but there are other programs that will do the conversion.

I use Super, it is very flexible and great for batch conversion. It can convert to and from many formats. Read the help when unsure and also check the sizes and output formats you need.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Oh yes, it is free.

It looks like they have a link to AVS video converter at the top of the page.

If you have something asking for registration then it is not Super.

At the most Super asks for a donation, but there are no restrictions on its use.

Scroll down that page and you will find a download link for Super.

Let me know if that does not work.