Chinese-Forums

"从(cong)...到(dao)...再到(zaidao)..."how to translate this sentence structure?

veronica_china

:DDear all, how should I translate this sentence structure"从(cong)...到(dao)...再到(zaidao)..."?

Do anyone konw whether I expressed correctly on this sentence "The details of study population from recruitment to completing the study and to putting into analysis were given in Appendix-4."?

Another example, "赵薇的男朋友从陈坤到黄小明再到王励勤", Is my translation "Zhaowei's boyfriends are from Chenkun to Huang Xiaoming and to Wang Liqin" right?

Many thanks for any help:D!

'from ... to ... and then to ...' If you add 'and then to' in the final part, it gets the additional impact from the 再, which is missing if you translate in English to 'from...to...and to'. The sentences also flow better in both languages with 'then' or 再 involved..

• 3 weeks later...

The sentence in the first post would translate more like 'Zhao Wei first dated Chen Kun, then Huang Xiaoming, and then Wang Liqin' or something similar. Those are the names of her respective boyfriends.

If you just take the Chinese given, you have to assume that it is an incomplete sentence. The construction asked about looks as though it is being used adverbially, therefore, the main part of the sentence is missing, e.g. 'XX's boyfriends, from A to B, and then to C' is the translation of what is given and is incomplete in English, it needs to be finished with. e.g. 'are all unsuitable'. In both of the translations given, the sentence is being treated as complete - I do not think this is technically correct.