Chinese-Forums

Stroke order question - 丑

lokki

I came across this when I was having a closer look at the characters for 纽约 New York. I wasn't sure about the stroke order of 丑 which appears there as the right-hand part of 纽.

I usually consult the following website for stroke orders:

http://www.chinese-learner.com/write-chinese/write-chinese-stroke-order-dictionary.php

... and it gave the following order for 丑 (and 纽) :

1: upper-horizontal-right-hand-vertical stroke

2: left-hand-vertical stroke

3: middle-horizontal stroke

4: bottom-horizontal stroke

I thought it felt funny somehow to write 2 before 3, and checked with a software I have (Pablo), and sure enough, there 2 and 3 were the other way around.

To me it looks like the website is wrong. Can anyone confirm this?

To me it looks like the website is wrong. Can anyone confirm this?
I don't think so. Due to different ways of seeing how the character comes about, there are variations in the stroke-order for the character. Take the variation which feels more natural to you.

I was also taught the order according in the original post #1, with the order of precedence generally being top to bottom, left to right. 无 is the same.

This really confuses me. When you say that 无 is the same as post #1, are you saying that you write the (left-slanting) vertical stroke of 无 _before_ the middle horizontal one, in the same way that the vertical comes before horizontal of 丑 in the original post?

Both the softwares mentioned above certainly disagree with that stroke order for 无.