Chinese-Forums

Street Food

GoodPeoples

I would like to know what delicious Street Foods different parts of China has to offer. As I will be moving to China very soon, having some idea would be nice. What delights will I be getting my self into...

:) What is your favorite Street Food ? What region is it from ? Describe the flavor :)

Thank You

Edited by GoodPeoples
More friendly

China is rather large and hence covers many different types of food. Your question is crazy. It's like posting "I'm from India. Please tell me what European food tastes like".

Go to China, look at the stuff being sold on the street, buy it (it's affordable), and eat it. If you like it, go "mmmmmm!" and buy some more. if you don't, then spit it out in the nearest bin, unless you're in Beijing in which case you can just spit it out on someone's shoes.

As Adrian says... and oh boy are there some awesome meals to be had from the streets... some of my favourite foods have been bought there and unfortunately I didnt get the names of most of it, but man it sure was good... try it like then go back... again and again and again... hmmmm man I miss that...

• 2 months later...
羊肉串 Yang2rou4chuan4er Mutton Sticks, they are my favorite and available in all of China (I think).

I can vouch for this! I had this in Beijing last month, delicious. After that, we stopped into a small restaurant where I was introduced to suan la fen. It was a good day :mrgreen:

• 2 months later...

I've recently been enjoying the old favourite 煎饼。 Never used to eat them, but there's a stall inside the supermarket downstairs which I pass a couple of times a day (well, if I make a slight detour :wink:) and damn, they're fine. Not too heavy, bit spicy, bit crunchy. I now prefer them to 鸡蛋灌饼, which is saying something.

i used to be huuuge fan of 串儿 (skewers) cos of the variety (lamb, beef, calamari, buns, vegies etc.) and tangy flavours. managed to get myself severe food poisoning just a couple of weeks ago after eating them in a very popular restaurant in the Guomao area. lol never again... can't even look at them now without feeling a bit nauseous..

but, still, everyone's gotta try them at least once. they really do taste good.

Home-made drinking yoghurt in Turpan, served by a very green-eyed almost-blonde uighur (I suppose) man from his truck-stall. (I later tried about every type of home-made non-pasteurized yoghurt that I could come across in Xinjiang and none even came close. I could go back to Turpan just for that yoghurt.)

• 4 weeks later...

Those wonderful egg pancakes you get at the stall between the Xijiao Hotel and the entry to BLCU!!! I CRAVE them. I tried to duplicate them in every way possible, but there's just nothing like the original. I wonder if they exist anywhere else in China or if it is ony a Beijing thing... Mado

Is it true that you can find kebabs in every cities of China?

Well, I haven't checked every city, but I've travelled all over China over the last decade or so, and I've seen kebab stalls everywhere.

My work takes me to a small village in the countryside. There are three kebab stalls, there.

So, I'd say the answer to your question is "Yes."

牛肉饼

Fried bread with beef in it. Good and greasy and will kill you

肉夹馍

Muslim burgers, a "baked" bread (锅盔) and has chopped meat in the middle. AMAZING

手抓饼

A bread that is very flat and then cut and you eat it with your hands (name means hand grabbed bread). Very good stuff

That's my typical grabs as I walk around. Oh and a bubble tea.

Oh and for summer months a non-baked good would be a popsicle that has haw fruit in it. 山楂味的冰棍