Chinese-Forums

Street Food

GoodPeoples

Hmmm you know, you're right. Probably a misconception from one of my early trips to China when I first had them (in Xian) and someone called them muslim burgers. It stuck, but you are right, the ones I always have are pork. I usually refer to them by chinese name so never figured out the disconnection there. Thanks for pointing that out.

手抓饼

There used to be a stall near to me that did those wrapped around a fried egg, slices of bacon, etc. Closed down, sadly. And odd, considering how many I ate.

Those wonderful egg pancakes you get at the stall between the Xijiao Hotel and the entry to BLCU!!!

You're going to have to be more specific - half of all types of street food surely involves an egg and a pancake of some form.

Re: 肉夹馍

All the 肉夹馍 I ate when I lived in Xi'an were beef. I virtually ate nothing else for a year!

The local muslim restaurant here in Guangxi does them with 羊肉. Had a couple earlier today.

Never seen them with pork. Certainly not Muslim if using pork.

Closed down, sadly. And odd, considering how many I ate.

You probably made them rich enough to retire! That's always my theory when my favourite places disappear.

I must have the name wrong, I thought they were called 瓜葱饼, but google images tell me otherwise. :help

The are similar to normal 葱油饼, except they use this claw-like thing to "fluff" then up. Really tasty.

The only place I've seen them is at the MTR station in Taipei closest to the National Palace Museum. Are they common? I make a very poor imitation of them at home using frozen 葱油饼 and a pair of chopsticks.

It should be 手抓餅. I had it once in Taipei. It was tasty but too greasy for me.

肉夾饃 is also good. Had it in Xi'an. Also had something very similar to it in Jinan a couple of months ago but it tasted less good.

My all time favourite is of course 雞蛋仔.

Thanks! That seems to be them.

My all time favourite is of course 雞蛋仔.

That seems to be a Hong Kong favorite. Pretty much every one I know that's from Hong Kong loves them. We've even found a very similar version in Japan.

Anyone know where one can get the pan to make them in the USA? We've looked in some of the standard Chinatowns, of course.

Sorry. Been away.

Roddy, they were the ones with an egg fried into a pancake like the ones you use for Peking Duck and the chopstick action of doing this was the morning's entertainment. Then they sprinkled some kind of 'salad sauce' onto it and threw some greens in. Can't remember which. Anyway, I still miss them. Is that what you are refering to? Am I likely to find such a thing in Zhengzhou? (Am I likely to find ANYTHING in Zhengzhou...)

Mado

Using my trusty NJStar, I deciphered your Hanzi, Roddy. Yes, that sounds like it. Do you remember the stall near the Xijiao hotel? Is it still there? (I'm SURE they must be unless they used the 5 million yuan they used to make every morning from all the students to sell up and move to warmer climes...) :-)

Mado