Chinese-Forums

Chinese characters on the computer?

Alveranter

I'm sorry, but I'm new to chinese and totally unaware of how you type chinese characters on your computer.. (or in this case MY computer =) (laughing is mandatory) do you have to have a chinese-based operative system or what?

/Anton

• 2 weeks later...
You should use NJ Star then if you have Windows 98. It's a bit buggy and crashes at times, but I still consider it one of the best CJK IMEs out there.

But the problem is that its not free...unless you crack the trial version :lol:

You can download free Global IMEs for Windows 9x and NT from Microsoft's website. These allow you to type in the romanisation of a character, and select the corresponding character.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie5/IME/5.02/W9XNT4/EN-US/msscaime.exe This is a link to download the Simplified Chinese IME, or...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie5/IME/5.02/W9XNT4/EN-US/msTCaime.exe This is a link to download the Traditional Chinese IME.

I haven't actually used these myself, as I don't have a computer with WIndows 98. If they don't work, you're best bet is NJStar. It really is quite good, plus it has loads of input methods (like zhuyin.)

Good luck... :D

• 5 weeks later...
Mm-hm. 是 is only used to equate nouns. In this sense, the adverb 很 does not always mean "very".

..... hehehe .... are you ssuuuuuuurrre?

Perhaps I should have been more articulate. What I meant was that the 很 could be read as meaning "is very" as opposed to just "very".