Chinese-Forums

a mugging experience

rezaf

Actually it was my own fault. It was late and I was getting back home from a short cut where no one lives. Two guys stopped me and wanted my money. I tried to scape but they got me. I had 800 yuan and I gave it to them but then they wanted my atm card. Since I don't carry my atm card at night I couldn't give it to them. They thought that I was lying and slapped me. One of them even showed me a plastic bag for suffocating me but judging from their slap i knew that they weren't serious then I began telling them that I am only a student and i don't have money and then beat my own head and begged them to let me go. It worked and they left after searching me. Although there was no physical damage, I think I can't forget this night's lesson for the rest of my life. Do you think that I should go to the police?

Edit: China is a relatively safe country for foreigners and violent crimes against foreigners almost never happen and I don't want my experience worry anyone about safety in China.

Edited by rezaf

I came into this thread to make the comment adrian has already made - i think the muggers are more to blame than you.

You should definitely go to the police. They may do nothing, but as has been said, they may tighten up security in the area a bit. If no one reports this kind of thing there's no incentive for the police to try and stop it.

Nasty, glad you're ok. This time of year or a bit later is often a bit of a petty crime peak as it's dark and people realize they're going home for Chinese New Year and haven't earned as much as they wanted to. Quite common to see notices up in apartment blocks warning about security, etc.

I would report it - the chances of much happening are probably slim, but at least it's on the books and you know you've done your part. It might tie in with other reports, etc. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd blame anyone who just wants to get on with their life and not sit around a police station.

If that short cut is commonly used by people in your apartment block, students at your school, etc, it might be a good idea to speak to the building management, school authorities, etc - they may want to put up a warning, or they may carry some weight speaking to the police.

thanks everyone, I am going to talk to my teacher today to see what I should do.

are you a white guy ?

Is it just as dangerous for people of european extraction in China ?

No, I am Middle Eastern but I don't think that there is a difference in China since we are all considered to be rich laowais(foreigners). BTW they asked me if I was American or German.

I think that China is a reasonably safe country, apart from my own experience i haven't heard of anything like this before.

Rare to hear of confrontational 'give us your money' type crime. Pickpocketing, the rapid removal of unattended items and maybe bag-snatching are more likely. But overall it's safe. I can only think of 2 or 3 incidents of violent theft against foreigners I've heard of, and this is one of them. Add in non-violent theft and non-thieving violence (drunk folk, usually) and you've got a slightly higher number, but nothing that would cause worry to anyone living in a major city anywhere in the world.

And after you've reported it to police, then go and sign up at your local martial arts club

thats what i'm thinking.

all they had was a plastic bag to suffocate you with? lol, thats a joke compared to what you get in the west- at least a knife, gun... good thing.

all they had was a plastic bag to suffocate you with? lol, thats a joke compared to what you get in the west- at least a knife, gun... good thing.

Yeah they were very nice muggers!:mrgreen:

Any way I told my teachers and they said they just happened to have a meeting today about a few similar incidents that had happened to other students(mostly girls) and that all the teachers would warn their students.

I love the way they were asking about your nationality . . . "Give us your wallet . . . say, where are you from? . . . ok, and your bank card . . . so, can you use chopsticks? . . . . right, PIN number? . . . do you like Chinese girls then? . . ." - being mugged in China's such a bore . . .

maybe the nicest part about china is the relative safety, and fortunately these kinds of incidents seem to be infrequent. when i was studying in kunming about three or four years ago, there was a female schoolmate who was mugged, and although she gave the guys the all the money or whatever she had, the muggers still beat her up pretty badly. nice guys! there were a few other incidents there, and i wonder if maybe there are more than we realize throughout china, but that in smaller places e.g. kunming it is easier to hear about them because the foreign community is smaller? dunno, but sorry for your experience rezaf.

I don't think a few months of martial arts would have made a huge difference here, but martial arts are cool and you should do them anyway.

The most important thing is that you're not hurt, and it doesn't sound like your life was really in danger. Chalk it up to experience, choose a different route next time.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. I had similar experiences (although not in China) which really got to me.

Do you mind to describe in more detail, what the guys looked like, how old they were, and such.

(and while your at it: could you see yourself trying to fight them after learning martial arts?)

I have done quiet a lot of fighting sports, but I don't know if I would (or could) use it on the streets.