Chinese-Forums

Teaching English in Henan, Zhengzhou

MegaB

Hi all,

I'm going to be training kungfu in DengFeng May-August 2009 and want to stay on for 6 months teaching English in a school / university (I have one year's experience and a languages degree).

I've had a few calls and emails with recruiters out there but really don't trust what they've been telling me - it's always the same story "Located in beautiful Zhengzhou City... more than 10,000 students... excellent living conditions".

I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has worked in Henan as I haven't been able to find any honest reviews of teacher experiences from surfing google. I really just need someone to point me to some schools where I'm certain not to get ripped off / treated badly.

Thanks

Not sure if my post will help you.

All I want to say is I had the same issue as yours for a long time, though my desire to come to China was very strong ... from a purely cultural point of view ... get to China ... teach my experiences ... and learn theirs ... but not getting into any troubles of any kind. After a lot of searching on the net, e.g. Google, I still got more and more confused. So many positive posts as well as equally so many bad posts ... from anywhere about everywhere ... and about every kind of Chinese people too.

So confusing. So I took the risk.

What I've learned in the mean time, and what I sincerely think, is that nobody will be able to give you a straightforward answer: what you might find good in a school could turn another person off. And vice versa.

In adition, schools can change quickly. After all, like anywhere else, they have to think about the "business" too ...

If your heart truly wants to come here ... then try. Just make sure you have a financial backup as well as a social one (= family and friends). Just in case.

Thanks for the advice Senzhi.

I have low expectations when it comes to my living conditions - I was training in a kungfu school for a month earlier this year and if I could endure the living conditions in that school, I can put up with anything!

It's more to do with a. not wanting to be taken for a fool (ie. if they say they're going to pay RMB4000 pcm and pay for return flight, this is what I'll get. Also, I've read about various horror stories on this site where people have been threatened or mistreated by staff/employers.

These are the kind of issues I want to avoid.

I am flexible on location and don't actually have to stay in Henan (although it would be handy for keeping up the kungfu) so please let me know of any schools any of you have taught in where you have been treated fairly and had a positive experience.

Thanks

Mark

May also be wiser to go for a state university rather than a private school (ie the Henan University of Technology rather than John's Bouncy Oxford School of English, to make two names up) as they are likely to be better run (although you may find this hard to believe when you get there), won't change timetables / classes so often and they aren't so dedicated to squeezing every ounce of profit out of both teachers and students. Mileage varies of course, and you'd be better off at a good private school than a rubbish university, but on average . . .

As Senzhi says, places can change quickly - back in 2001 I went to teach in Harbin despite 'this place is dreadful' reports online as the people I was dealing with seemed decent and I had doubts about the credibility of the report. I had a great year. After I left there were some staff changes and things seemed to go downhill. So do look for reports online, but don't take them as gospel.

Have you tried getting in touch with school's directly rather than recruiters - that's generally a better idea if possible, and you've got plenty of time still.

I have been Living in China for a couple of years. So here is my advice. :wink:

I would only teach at public schools or Universities. As they do tend to pay you (well most do) and your teaching timetable does not change much. Which is great as you are able to lock in other weekly actives.

If you work at a private school you will work more hours (mostly weekends) for more money. Some places are good to work for but its very hit and miss.

I think what every you do, its important to remember if you are not happy once you get here. Just change jobs as there is a teaching shortage.

roddy and whereishunter,

Thank you so much for your advice guys, it has been invaluable and I am feeling much more reassured.

I've decided to ditch my two recruiters, as they had a tendency to avoid answering my questions and instead just kept demanding I send my passport, references etc., and I'll email some state universities / public schools directly (though I'll have to remember to write in chinese in the subject line as I haven't heard back from the last couple of unis I emailed).

Will keep everyone updated with my progress and if anyone on here has worked for any Henan unis/schools they care to recommend, would be much appreciated.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Let me know what your doing mate. I'm not teaching in Zhengzhou right now, because I have returned back home. But I may be returning soon, and it'll b nice to meet another laowai.

Also let me know if you have any questions. ( About teaching in Zhengzhou, or anything really)

• 2 months later...

I've been to Zhengzhou on 2 occasions (1998 and 2006) and taught there very briefly. I have personal contacts at the Henan Institute of Education so I'm not worried about the teaching conditions, reliability, etc., but I really WOULD like to know more about the city as it is now, 2009. I know it is WAY off the beaten tourist track and is definitely not a lovely city, but any concrete information about what might be available would be much appreicated, e.g. is there a gym to work out? can you get acrylic nails there? is there any western food at all available? (not really worried about this, but an occasional piece of bread or cup of coffee would be nice) what's the weather like? It's not quite as cold as Beijing, but HOW cold? What is the heating like in public buildings? Any info really... Thanks in advance.:wink:

Mado