Chinese-Forums

Ip Man 叶问

Outofin

Saw it. An average story but, a lot of good fights! As I've expected, yes, the movie is comparable to Jet Li's Fearless.

His quick hits don’t seem powerful and look a little funny. But I wonder if this has practical use. Do quick hits on the chest cause heart failure? I particularly paid attention to the soldier hit on the chest. He twitched, and then passed out. Horrible.

I saw the film today and I think it is not bad (though I will not see it again). The big house is just BEAUTIFUL and Donnie Yan looks so urbane and graceful in his long robe (actually his role is very likeable).

I have only one complaint - the last fighting scene. It is just unconvincing. There is simply no way that they can get away. The Japanese only need to shoot all of them, Ip and all the witnesses. But it is a story so we just have to accept it. :)

Overall a nice film.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say it depends on the time period.

In Song dynasty shows, it's the Jurchens (Jin) and the Khitan (Liao), sometimes Koreans (Koryo/Gaoli). Dali and Song are the good guys.

In Ming dynasty shows, it's Mongols and Japanese pirates.

In Qing shows, it's usually the Qing dynasty itself :mrgreen: (often in the form of corrupt officials), but also the British, Americans and the French (the imperialists).

Tang dynasty... hrm... I haven't seen enough of those, I'll have to look it up...

I was forced to watch it over the holiday. Some good acting and a potentially interesting story, utterly spoiled by ridiculous over-choreographed pretend so-called kung-fu every five minutes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just watched this (in high definition :clap) and I really liked it.

Of course, it's not terribly realistic, but it should be taken for what it is -- a gongfu movie. The fighting scenes are great, and it's one of the better gongfu movies in recent years, comparable to Fist of Legend and Tsui Hark's Wong Feihung movies.

I believe Sammo Hung did the fight choreography for this one, and it shows.

• 11 months later...