Chinese-Forums

How to restore language icon in Microsoft Windows

jade-

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, if it is not, I apologize.

My problem is: yesterday I updated my java file, after that, I lost my java icon, along with my language icon. I have been trying to restore the language icon ever since, I toggled on and off, restored and closed language bar, and rebooted the computer. I also re-selected and re-applied the language options in the Control Panel, but nothing worked. It looks to me the space for the icon is there, but it does not have any language like “EN” or “CH” listed. Does anyone have idea what I did wrong or what I missed? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

When you right-click on the taskbar, then go to the 'Toolbars' menu item, does it show "Language bar" as one of the options (and is it checked?)

If "Language bar" doesn't show at all or can't be checked, go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details -> Advanced and ensure that "Turn off advanced text services" is NOT checked.

Otherwise you may need to reset your registry settings... see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and go to # 194 on the right column (Language Bar - Restore). Save it as a .reg file and run it (double click in explorer).

You can also try re-registering the language bar dll by running the following from the command line:

regsvr32 %SystemRoot%System32msutb.dll

Hi peekay, thank you for replying.

If "Language bar" doesn't show at all or can't be checked, go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details -> Advanced and ensure that "Turn off advanced text services" is NOT checked.

--> I tried this, the result was my windows default language changed to Chinese, but I still could not find my language bar icon. When I changed it back to English, it was toggled back on again.

Otherwise you may need to reset your registry settings... see [url]http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm[/url] and go to # 194 on the right column (Language Bar - Restore). Save it as a .reg file and run it (double click in explorer).

You can also try re-registering the language bar dll by running the following from the command line:

regsvr32 %SystemRoot%System32msutb.dll 

--> Okay, I tried both methods, but the language bar still does not show up now.

Currently, if I right click toolbar, go to Toolbars, language bar is under the list, but I cannot toggle it on. Also, I checked the web help, some people said to click on Language Bar in Control Panel -> Regional and Language option -> language -> Details, but my Language Bar is greyed out and I am not able to click it. How can I make it available?

Thanks.

Edited by jade-

Hmm, hard to tell what's happening.

The Language Bar button is grayed out (and non-selectable in the task bar) if the "Turn off advanced text services" setting is checked. You should be able to uncheck this setting, enable the Language Bar, while keeping English as the default input language.

Sorry not much help. :(

Thank you, peekay, you helped a little.

I finally made sure everything was set to English, toggled off "Turn off advanced text services" and enabled the "Language Bar". However, once I clicked the Language Bar, the whole window was grayed out. I could not check on any options in that window, like "add more language icons on taskbar" etc. Could you think of any way to have this window activate? I am thinking it should have a reset button somewhere.