Chinese-Forums

BLCU 12week course Mar.26—Jun.17 2009

Eamohuajie

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on studing in Beijing this year at BLCU for a 12 week course starting in March 09. I've already sent my application to the uni and am waiting for a reply. I was just wondering if anybody else is thinking about registering for this course or has already done so. It would be great to get to talk to some of my classmates before i get to beijing even if its just to discuss how far along the application process they are (accepted by uni, getting visa, accomodation..etc). Also i thought i would be handy to know someone whos gonna be in beijing as i will be flying from ireland by myself.

also if anyone has some advice for me about the 12 week course at BLCU (ive opted for the 20hrs/week...maybe level B) i will greatfully accept it.

Cheers,

Eamon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eamon,

I'm actually thinking about enrolling, but a friend of mine is finding the options for me after CNY (he thinks that BLCU classes are not very focussed).

So I have not applied in any universities yet.. and still have to apply for a visa.

Am not sure if I should stay on the campus or rather rent an appartment. I want to be learning Mandarin, so rather not hang out too much with fellow students speaking English, but don't want to miss out on things on the campus either.

I just got an advice to get vaccinated as hepatitis B is very common in China. I'll ask the doc for advice too.

I'm in The Netherlands by the way. :)

Hey Missy_C thanks for replying.

First of all...xin nian kuaile! Yeah ive heard mixed views on BLCU, but im not really worried about that. I know that once im in china i start to pick up the language quite fast. I'm not doing the intensive course so i can probably get a tutor or something for after class.

Wow you havent applied to any unis yet? i sent my application over 2 weeks ago and i still dont even know if it has even reached china yet. I may have to call them...ill give it another week before doing that. What kind of visa are you trying to get? I have to wait for a reply from the uni caus i want to stay in china for longer than 3 months. i think an F visa will do that for me (good for 6 months) as after my course i will travel around china.

I know what you mean about not wanting to hang around and speak english with classmates all the time. I'm gonna try avoid that too. Thats why i want to find an apartment off campus.

Thanks for the vaccination advice! I was wondering about that actually...Ill probably have to get that done soon.

Keep me posted with any other info that i might find useful :D

thx

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

I think if you have applied and still waiting for forms, you can email BLCU and ask them the status. They said they would send me a confirmation email but that didn't happen and ended up calling them and then sending an email. I sent all my documents by email. Because things are so hectic in China, its a very good idea to double check your status. But of course you can also wait, I requested them to Express mail me the documents so wouldn't worry about getting the papers in time.

Is it true that many people on campus speak english? My sister did this program in '05 but back then things were very different. Why would finding an apt outside of campus be more beneficial in conversing in Chinese?

Actually the Hepatitis A Vaccine is more important. Most developed countries gave Hepatitis B as a child but not the Hepatitis A. It is mainly for the not too sanitariary conditions. You need a strong stomarch especially you want to venture to street food.

Having stomarch flu is no fun. The Hepatitis shot is total of two shot. It is good for life time as I was told.

Thanks for the info BJHippo

Yeah actually I sent them an email last week asking about my status but i never got a reply. what email address did you sent it to? i sent it to zhaosh2@blcu.edu.cn. When you called them did they speak to you in english? my chinese isnt good enough to hold a phone conversation yet...im still in the hand gestures and drawing diagrams stage >.< yeah id like them to express post my docments too so i can get my visa in time, but even just to know im accepted would be good so i can book my flights. Did you send your application form + other docs again through email?

oh about the people on campus speaking english, well ive heard some people say that during their stay at blcu they ended up hanging out with the foreigners in their class and as a result didnt speak chinese all the time..but im not worried about that, it all depends on the person, not really where you stay...its just that one of my friends told me that i could get a nice single room apartment for cheaper or the same price as some of the campus accomodation and have more privacy and utilities. I guess if i have to travel off campus im bound to have to ask someone for directions at some stage thus improving my chinese, but i aim to get a place near enough. less than 30 mins away on foot.

Thanks architect for the shot info...id like to believe that i have a strong stomach...but ill double check with my mom what shots ive gotten...

Hey Eamohuajie,

Yeah I used zhaosh2@blcu.edu.cn. I had to email all my documents because I applied so late to the program. I'm going for the Feb 19 course. But you still have some time if you are doing March 26. I had someone in my family speak to them because my Chinese is bad too. But I also emailed them in Chinese. Would work in Chinese for fastest results. Use a translator to help like translate.google.com. Even the most basic email of this is my name, want to know if you got my application and what time you will send my J202 forms out. It took them a day or two to respond. They say it takes about 2 weeks to process your application and send out the forms for your visa. It takes about 4 days to process a student visa so you still have a good 1 month to get everything. China can be somewhat disorganized but I'm sure everything will work out.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to speak a lot of English so I have to make sure not to make too many English speaking friends. I would hate to waste my time and money and not come out speaking Chinese.

Well I hope to see you in the program!

Hello BJHippo,

Do you ever thinking of a homestay family ? I think this case for sure you will not speak too much English. It may work out better than a tutor. You will have a lot of Chinese speaking opportunity and understand the Chinese local living style. I will try that route first.

Thanks BJHippo for that really helpful info.

My friend is translating a letter for me now. I'm gonna send that off later today and hope they get back to me soon. Altho i guess they are off now because of chinese new year, but i guess they will respond faster if its in chinese...

I don't think you have to worry too much about making too many english speaking friends, im sure everybody is going there to learn chinese so they wont want to be speaking their native language all the time. It's the people who end up going out partying every night and then skipping lecutures lose out. Also ive been warned by my chinese friends to watch out for chinese people who just want to practice their english on you, aparently they hang out around the language corner looking for foreigners...but maybe if you look chinese they wont bother you...I'm only half chinese but chinese people dont think i look chinese at all...haha irish people dont think i look irish either...go figure..

your course starts on Feb19th? good luck with that! have you organised accomdation yet? How far before the start date do you intend to go to china? I reckon im gonna fly over around a week before my class starts just to find my bearings and set up my apartment(if i get one). sorry for all the questions...:oops:

Hi,

Thanks for all the useful tips! Architect, how does one get involved in homestay? I think I saw that in one website that was a middlemen between universities where you could homestay.

Yeah I also heard about locals will want to practice their Chinese on foreigners but because I'm Chinese they will avoid me. I have no idea what to expect. I've been to China a few times but only on vacation. I don't know what it feels like to live there and interact with the people.

I'll arrive two days before the program starts. I know not that smart but I need the extra time to wrap things up here in the US. I graduated from college a few years ago actually so I got some baggage here. Now that the economy and job market here is so bad, I thought going to China finally to learn my native tongue would be a smarter investment then wasting away here in the States. I have not figured out my accommodations yet. I wanted to stay at the dorms because they are cheap and all the things are taken care of like bed, etc. I guess I could stay in the dorms for some part of the time and if I want to find a place move out. I don't really know what to expect though.

When I applied for my student visa they said I could not do multi-entry. That means I can't leave and re-enter China. I dunno if you plan on visiting some other Asian countries, HK or Taiwan during your stay in China, but you'll have to reapply for a visa to get back to China. Although someone said there are some loopholes. Maybe for Ireland they don't have this problem. In the US, we do. Probably some silly China-America political garbage. But it was something I wanted to do given I was so close to other parts of Asia. Now I'm just heading to HK before Beijing.

Hi BJHippo,

Living in the dorm is most convenience but may not the best for learning Chinese. I think the homestay need to go thru a middle man as you said. There are discussions on this forum. People have different experiences. The best may be to rent a room out of a Chinese family. Renting a room is common but how to get one is different story especially in a short term. A referral from a friend for the rental probably works out the best. I plan to attend the Sept. session, may be I can learn from your experience on the accommodation .

When attending the intensive program have classes Mon – Fri., there are not many opportunity to travel too far. If you taking the Cathy Pacific, most likely they let you stop at HK for free. You can start earlier and stay longer for the traveling. It may work out better at the end while you have learned more Chinese.

Woot!

{^_^}

Just got my acceptance letter from BLCU today :D It took over 3 weeks for them to get back to me but they sent the letter by registered post. They sent me the application form for the Jw202 and information about registering. those doing the 12 week course in march must be at BLCU to register between 23rd-25th of march. i plan to arrive before the 23rd anyway so it should leave me enough time to find my way around.

I'll post it up here if i find anything out about accomodation or if i encounter any difficulties in the visa application process.

One alternative to 'homestay' might be to get an apartment with Chinese roommates. You can often find shared accommodations in classifieds (eg. thebeijinger.com) or via a real-estate agent.

Often with homestay you need to be mindful to come home at a reasonable hour, be 'expected' to tutor the kids in English, etc., which might be a worthwhile experience in itself but might not be what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Ni men hao!

how is it going guys?

My name is Dmitry,I am from Moscow,but I live in Toronto.

I am applying for the 12-week programm in BLCU starting March 27th.

Hopefully my application process will go through very well and I will meet you all in class!

I am still thinking about the accomodation option. I don;t know what is the best. Any ideas?

thanks

^^ so I've finally gotten my visa and my flights are booked too! it feels great not having to worry about those things.

The visa i was given was an X visa, i was supposed to get an F visa but the embassy said if i was studying i should have the X visa...so the problem with that is its only single entry and the duration on the visa says "000". I asked them about it and they told me that i have to register with a local police station or something like that...Has anyone done that before? Will they give me a duration at that point? or even better...multiple entry?

in reply to Missy_C - i'll probably be in level B, my listening/speaking should be around intermediate level but i can barely read any characters and i can write even less...well i definitely dont want to be stuck in the absolute beginners class...

now to find an appartment near blcu....

I've got my flight and i've got double entry 60 days visa.

Be in Beijing 20 March.

Though have not applied yet :P

I forgot to make a copy of my passport so I couldn't apply yet.. but I've got it back now..

I'm not worried though :P

I hope to be in level B too.. I am probably not able to read and write 800 characters though..