Chinese-Forums

BLCU 12week course Mar.26—Jun.17 2009

Eamohuajie

hey everyone!im thinking of going to BLCU too but my mum asked me go to bei hang uni instead.the reason she doesnt let me go to BLCU cos shes too scared that im not going to learn anything since its all foreigner there.anyone heard of that uni before?which 1 is better?

hey

the hours/price for the 12 week course are as follows...

Mar.26—Jun.17, 2009 (20hrs/week, 12 weeks) 8300RMB

Mar.26—Jun.17, 2009 (30hrs/week, 12 weeks) 12500RMB

according to the website...I'm going for the 20hrs course cause i heard that 20 hrs is enough really...also if you want extra hours you can get a tutor for really cheap or free if you exchange english lessons with them...

Hey guys!

I have applied through http://www.e-admission.cn. They are awsome so far. They will even arrange the free pick up from the airport.

Missy_C, I don't know where they will place me, but I have been only studying mandarin since October and in my mandarin school I am in level 3(out of 9). I don't know any han zi though:-(

Where are you guys staying? I am offered a great single room in the Beijing International Students Activity Center. Some info here http://www.e-admission.cn/extendedservice.php

What is the best accomodation in your opinion guys?

I am leaving Canada on March20th, be in Bei Yu on 21st.

Also, guys how much is your ticket to Bijing? I am wondering if I paid too much(999$ Canadian) for return flight.

Thanks. See you there

Hey DmitryG,

That e-admisson website looks good, but im just wondering what the catch is? what do they charge you for arranging everything? I've seen other websites that charge quite a lot just to arrange things for you...altho i couldnt see any aditional costs on the site.

I guess your level would be similar to mine, I have been studying for over a year but i have just been doing 10 week night courses with 1 class a week. Perhaps we will be in the same class =D i only know a few hanzi characters

I'm planning on staying in a single bed apartment, altho aparently the prices will be bad until march so i'll check it out then. It may be difficult to find a contract for such a short period, ill be in china for 5 months maybe...and paying bills etc might be hassle...but those pics of the beijing student activity centre seem really good. and the price for 2-6 months seems great...is that price specific to people who book through e-admission? I'm gonna start looking into long term hotels now. the student activity centre is about 15 mins walk from blcu apparently so it seems pretty sweet...

Regarding flights...my ticket cost €750 = 1,202.13 CAD but i guess its more expensive because im flying home from tokyo (gonna travel around japan a bit before i leave).

Has anyone booked accomodation at BLCU yet? i hear you have to call in advance?

e-admission.edu.cn / chiwest.cn have a post here. They seem to be new, which makes me somewhat dubious about the posts online where they've already helped someone find an 'Englsih' teaching job. I'd approach with caution and watch out for being steered towards particular schools, but if there's no charge and it all works out, fair enough. They'll no doubt be getting a cut from the school.

Edit: I hopped onto their live chat, which works, and confirmed that they do take payment from schools. There are 'extra' services you can pay for (none of which look particularly good value to me, although the hotel booking might be handy for the first few days while you find your feet), but the basic application handling and pick-up should be free. Let us know how you get on.

Edited by roddy

Hey,Eamohuajie!

E-admission does look suspicious as they are charging the same amount as universities, not a penny more for regural services. However, I have been emailing back and forth with the CEO of that firm and they seem to be real and they have actually processed my application,plus they paid the fee for me,as I was not able to do it through paypal. I will have to pay them back when I am in Beijing.

I don't know about the accomodation yet, as I haven't decided or arranged anything, just looking around for now and evaluating the options.

Yeah,we might be in the same class. If not, we'll definitely meet up and go party it up:-) but in Mandarin though:-)))

chinadude2006,

you pay $75 for the application fee before you get to the uni and then when you get there you pay the full 8300RMB(i think) for the course and if youre staying on campus you must pay that up front too. altho i've heard that its possible to haggle for the price of your room..

Dmitry,

wow...they even paid for you? thats pretty cool, not sure if its a smart business move tho.

Heres another thing i found out about searching for accomodation online...if you search in english you're gonna get ripped off! most cases anyway, if you know someone who can search in chinese you can usually find a better price. It's just that when you search in english you find all this expat accomodation and its really expensive...

woah...im getting really excited now, i finish my work placement tomorrow and then just 2 weeks before i head off ^o^ i better do a lot of study before i go, the basics...

My friend in Beijing did my application for me today. All I need to do upon arrival is to show my visa and my bankaccount receipt and I'll get my student pass..

My ticket was 571Euro's ($909 CAD) From Amsterdam to Beijing (via London). I'm flying the 19th arriving 20th and will be staying with a friend for a few days and will be looking for an appartment in Wudoukou from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to be put in the absolute beginners class because i have been learning on and off for the last 2 years. maybe 1 or 2 levels after beginner, depending on how difficult they are. id rather class being a little hard than a little easy. ive got accomodation off campus. they wouldnt let me reserve a room on campus before i got there...

nah, dont worry about it! if they say they are holding a room for you im sure they are. make sure you register on the 24th or the 25th as that is the last day for registration...but i guess you will have to do that before you even get your room...

you wont know anyone in beijing? dont worry, even if we are not in the same class we will all be close to/on campus so we can hang or something. but im sure you'll probably make lots of friends from your class cause they will all be in the same situation...

i will be landing in beijing on the 20th. im gonna spend the rest of the week exploring and getting to know the area before class starts. because im off campus ill have to know how to walk to BLCU and maybe buy a bike or something.

Does anyone know if the level placement test is on the day you register or on the first day of class? it could mean the difference of 2 extra days study if i find out...

Wow, I can't believe I didn't find this forum earlier ...

I'm enrolled in this course too (the intensive version though, I'm doomed, from what I hear...), haven't sorted out accommodation yet, so yeah I hope I can get a decent dorm room. Maybe I'll see you guys there!