Chinese-Forums

Learn Chinese with Rosetta Stone???

Neil_1985

• 3 years later...

@ Joseph Kimbrell

I have the first Rosetta Stone mandarin and unless they have changed it dramatically, i would definitely not recommend this for the first or only learning method.

Having no explanation of things: grammar, tones etc, it makes it very difficult to work out what's going on.

As an extra to text books, classes, and any other learning methods, it is very good.

I use it for practice and learning vocabulary, but I would not use it on its own.

Get some good textbooks and a good dictionary, you will need them :)

Good luck and I hope you enjoy learning Chinese. (you don't say if you are new to learning Chinese, but I am guessing you are, apologies if you are not :) )

• Like 2

@ Shelley, Yes I am new :) Thanks for the opinion on Rosetta Stone. I agree, it probably wouldn't be that great totally alone, but I am going to be using it with Pimsleur and also a book "Easy Peasey Chinese". This is what I've been doing with Japanese and its working very nicely. I will listen to one lesson on Pimsleur, then the next day do a lesson of Rosetta Stone, and maybe 1 lesson in the book. It gives me different ways of learning/seeing/hearing.

@ daofeishi haha yes I could see that, but I think its probably a good addition to studies

And nice, Norway? I live in Norway, but from the US :)

• 1 month later...

I began practicing/studying Mandarin a couple of weeks ago, and I gotta say from experience that Rosetta stone isn't a good option for beginners. For Mandarin, I'm using the Pimsleur program and already I can put together thoughts, study vocab, understand grammar structure. Pimsleur is a good start, along with studies of vocab and other grammar structure

Several versions back I gave studying Mandarin with Rosetta Stone a shot. It worked relatively well at that time, although it was terrible for learning characters with. You absolutely need to set the written stuff to display with Pinyin at least for the beginning.

IMHO you also need to couple it with a speaking partner. It's a good place to get the foundation, but you'll need some more stuff in your arsenal going into a conversation so I'd never call it a one-stop solution for learning a language.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I went through RS and although encouraging at the start, I found it to be all bells and whistles. Pimsleur is good but leads you into a false sense of achieving a higher standard than you actually are. Finishing all 3 levels of pimsleur, you are still a beginner . For example I went from Pimsleur to Chinesepod and became really disheartened to find I was at the newbie level as it seems totally different to the teaching style and content of Pimsleur.

I did a big review of pimsleur here

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Chinese RS, but haven't used it much yet. I'm on the go a lot, like traveling on the train, driving, etc. So, I listen to Pimsleur and I use Mind Snacks Mandarin (I really like that app) - Mind Snacks is helping me learn basic terms and some characters, while Pimsleur is helping a bit with the listening aspect. I need to start writing and practicing my characters though.

• 1 year later...

@Taylor04

No, he mastered Chinese's grammatical gender, something even Chinese people and veteran Chinese professors failed to learn about.