Chinese-Forums

Anki decks for Matthews book

youreallygotme

I've ordered Matthews' book Learning Chinese Characters and it's on it's on mail now.

Has anyone made Anki decks based on this book? I would be very grateful if somebody would share such a deck! I'm not after the stories (I'll probably create my own) but just the basic structure of the deck would be so hot! :D

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I agree, and I've looked far and wide to no avail. Amazingly, I can't yet seem to find any flashcard database available for the new Matthews book!

So, I've begun work on it. I'm only up to character 60 thus far, which is also about where I am in the scheme of memorizing them too. If anyone's interested in helping, you could speed things up greatly! I'd be very happy for any help, as I don't have a lot of time available and the work is humdrum (I'd rather be practicing than entering so much data!).

The 800 characters in this book are however the same as those in HSK (Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǎoshì) Basic Level 1. Someone did make an Anki deck for this (which they imported from this source), but theirs includes compound words, as well as individual characters, and they're not in the same order. I pared the CSV file available at the previous link down to single-character words only, using this regular expression:

"[0-9]","[0-9]+","…?[x{4E00}-x{9FFF}()/ …]{2,10}","…?[x{4E00}-x{9FFF}()/ …]{2,10}","[w'()/ …]+","[w-';,() .?…]+","[w, ]{0,10}"n

I'm using the result as an aid to cataloging the Matthews index and keywords, because I like the author's pairing of simplified and traditional characters. It makes for pretty easy searching & copying/pasting -- then I only need to input the Matthews chapter, index number, and keyword(s). I'm working in Gnumeric. In case anyone's interested in collaborating, it's cross-platform but I can also save to Excel format. Please get in touch with me -- I know I can't be alone in wanting this database... Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot, Rakoczi! I am actually taking a break from the book right now. I'm currently backpacking in Germany, on my way to do the CELTA English-teaching course in Krakow later this month. But I'll be returning to Matthews after I return, and I'll be very grateful for your work! It is too bad we couldn't have collaborated. But thanks a lot for notifying me, and finishing the project on your own. Hooray!