Chinese-Forums

non-China-related spell check question

randall_flagg

Hi there!

So I have recently bough a new PC (runs on Vista) and installed Microsoft Office 2003 on it.

Problem: I need a spell checker that's neither English nor French (which seem to be the two languages that come with Office). Even when I change the default language it doesn't do the trick, I don't really know how to install additional dictionaries from the CD. I really need this, my spelling stinks more than a 臭豆腐榴莲沙拉。

Thank you so much!

Randall

Edit: Of course I have tried googling the problem and asking real live supposedly computer savvy friends, but to my great bewilderment several of my friends told me that they don't use any spell checker at all!

Edit 2: I do have the spell check I need on my old computer, runs on XP, but it's also Office 2003. Does that help? (The IT guy installed it last time, this time there is no IT guy around to help me...)

Edited by randall_flagg

Only a small number of languages come with office (the languages depend on which version of office you have). I think you're technically actually supposed to buy other languages, either stand alone or as part of a 'Multilingual User Interface Pack'. At least that's the impression I get from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402181033.aspx

You may find however that you can no longer actually purchase this product. Perhaps ironically, it's strategies like these that lead people to bit-torrent sites where add-ons for "out-of-date" software can almost certainly be downloaded for free - albeit not legally.

Frankly, I never planned on purchasing this anyways. I had hoped that I could just "activate" this "dormant" feature. I have now installed Lotus Suite, which is really nice AND has all the spell-checking I need. BUT I am worried about compatibility with MS Word. Even when I save my Lotus files as word-files, it messes up the whole lay out when I tried and open up those files with WORD. Today is one of those days when I just don't like computers!