Chinese-Forums

wanting a beautiful foreign girlfriend(beijing)

forestiger

I looked up forestiger's company because I was bored. It seems to be an architectural design company. (I think that's what it's called) It has a nice clean set-up and better than my company website. Perhaps that will earn him some brownie points with the ladies! :mrgreen:

http://www.sohochina.com/en/jianwai/index.asp

Don't want to interfere with his brownie points, but he works at Jianwai Soho, not for them. It's a housing/office complex in Beijing's business district, and what you found should be the homepage of the management company.

Fair enough. But if these stats are true, then that would mean that 2 out of every 10 married American-born Chinese are married with a white woman. That in turn would mean that in cities like LA, SF, & NY, there would actually be many Chinese male & White female married couples. Now if you were to go to any mall in LA, SF, or NY with Chinese people, you would simply find that this is not the case by counting the amount of married Chinese men with their wife. (Whether Caucasian, Chinese, or other Asian)

If anybody has been to Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York, then back me up here.

I agree with you on all counts except one, and can certainly back you up, at least regarding SF.

The one count I don't agree with you is that these results are BS. I've seen too many different studies with different numbers that come to the same conclusion. The study even has a section entitled "Can I Trust These Numbers?"; read it before you discount it.

So why the disconnect?

Obviously, this is looking at US raised. In looking at non-US raised, these numbers are different.

It also looks only at marriages. Perhaps there are many more Asian woman - White man couples that are dating, but fewer of those lead to marriage? [Why? Now THAT would be an interesting question!]

Also, if you look at the numbers, Chinese have a lower rate of inter-marriage than other Asian groups, so if you look at all East Asian numbers it will be different. [Any takers to add up the numbers?]

Or maybe, as with everything in life, we pay attending to things that supports our beliefs and ignore things that contradict it.

The one count I don't agree with you is that these results are BS. I've seen too many different studies with different numbers that come to the same conclusion. The study even has a section entitled "Can I Trust These Numbers?"; read it before you discount it.

As I noted above, I think the numbers given on the website are outdated. The numbers given counted a total of only 250,000 married Chinese-American men and women who are raised in the US, regardless of who they are married. There were as big wave of new Chinese immigration to the US in the 1980s and 90s. The number of Chinese Americans grew 47.5% from 1990 to 2000 and 104.1% from 1980-1990. As of 2007, there were 3.5 million Chinese Americans in the US. Most of those born in the 1980s are not married yet.

I'm guessing that these numbers were from the 1990s, in which case, they would included mostly second- and third-generation Chinese Americans and not too many first-generation Chinese Americans. There's a big difference in the level of cultural assimilation between first generation and later generations.