Chinese-Forums

First Episode 42: 射雕英雄传 (Legend of the Condor Heroes)

renzhe

For me, it was worth spending a weekend reading it in English to see how things turned out, but wouldn't have been worth watching an entire TV series (this would take me a couple of months to get through) and definitely not worth reading the book in Chinese.

Perhaps, but I've enjoyed the Jin Yong adaptations so much that I'm sure that it will still be interesting for me.

But it's no rush, there are other shows planned too, see the main thread for that discussion.

• 2 months later...
I was curious about this, so I read 神雕侠侣 last weekend (in English translation, didn't have the patience for a couple of thousand pages in Chinese). I don't think I agree.

You're completely right. I underestimated the role some of the characters play, as the main characters are from a new generation, but so many of the older ones make a comeback and play a crucial role (especially 黄蓉 and 郭靖) that it is really recommended to read/watch 射雕 first.

In short, 一灯, 裘千仞, 黄蓉, 郭靖, 黄药师, 欧阳锋, 周伯通, 英姑, 鲁帮主, 洪七公 all make more or less important appearances, and some of the story is based on events that happened in that book.

I finished 神雕 (the series) in two weeks, BTW, it doesn't take that long :wink: but we can watch 倚天屠龍記 together, when it comes out next year.

I finished 神雕 (the series) in two weeks, BTW, it doesn't take that long but we can watch 倚天屠龍記 together, when it comes out next year.

Definitely looking forward to that, I'll be just about ready for another wuxia series by then :D ... as long as I don't have to finish it in two weeks:wink:.

In short, 一灯, 裘千仞, 黄蓉, 郭靖, 黄药师, 欧阳锋, 周伯通, 英姑, 鲁帮主, 洪七公 all make more or less important appearances

Were the actors the same?

Edited by renzhe

Sorry for editing your post, I clicked the wrong button :oops: It's back to original now.

周伯通, 英姑, 鲁帮主 and I think 一灯 were the same. Obviously they didn't get Li Yapeng and Zhou Xun again to play 郭靖 and 黄蓉.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody watched the newest production of 射雕英雄传starring Hu Ge and Lin Yichen?I finished watching it recently and personally, I don't really think it's that good. The storyline seems so different compared with the novel and the 2003 version, and the fighting seems really really fake and worsened by all the graphics added in to enhance the effects of the fighting.

I still believe the 2003 production was by far the best out of all three. The fighting looked super cool(even with all the flying and dancing it still looked quite real, but there's an awful lot of twisting and spinning in the air), it beared the greatest resemblance to the actual novel and the scenery was the most beautiful and impressive (with all the horses running across the water, 桃花岛 and much more). However, it's just really sad that this seemingly perfect production was blemished by the incompetence of Li Yapeng and Zhou Xun's acting skills (I apologise if I've offended any of their fans), and frankly, Zhou Jie didn't play Yang Kang very well either. He bears no resemblance to Yang Kang no matter how hard I try to appreciate his acting. They should've let Hu Ge and Lin Yichen act the roles of Guo Jing and Huang Rong and someone else play Yang Kang as well.

The 1980's production was pretty good considering it was made at a time where technology wasn't as developed as it was in 21st century.

Has anybody watched the newest production of 射雕英雄传starring Hu Ge and Lin Yichen?I finished watching it recently and personally, I don't really think it's that good.

I've watched the first episode, and it was enough to convince me not to watch it.

It was an idol drama for the 90后 generation, basically. Pretty people and music and no substance.

I loved the 2003 version, and actually thought that Li Yapeng did a great job as 郭靖. 杨康 was quite bad, and I got used to 黄蓉 towards the end. But so many of the other important roles were excellent, so I really enjoyed it. It captured the spirit of the book really well, IMHO.