Chinese-Forums

That Z-Visa !

charlieinchina

Dear All,

First of all I will give you my position: I have a teaching job for 3 months in a small city in Hebei. I fully trust the school as I know many of the teachers and have visited the school when I was a high school student. (it is the "partnership school" of my old school). I wish to apply for a Z-Visa firstly because I think teaching (for money) on a tourist visa is illegal (?) and I also plan on being in China for 4 months - a month travelling after the teaching. The school sent me an invitation letter and now I need a Confirmation Letter of Retaining Foreign Experts issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts. I do not have a clue how to obtain one of these, and to be honest I don't really know what it is - but according to the Chinese embassy website it is required for my visa application.

Secondly I am only 19 years old and I have no TEFL TESOL or degree.

Is it even possible for me to obtain a Z-visa? If not what would be my best move ?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

The Confirmation Letter of Retaining Foreign Experts issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts needs to be obtained by the school, and is costly and time consuming to obtain. It's unlikely they'd do it for a 3 month teaching contract. More than likely you will only be able to get an F-visa.

Secondly I am only 19 years old and I have no TEFL TESOL or degree.

Is it even possible for me to obtain a Z-visa?

The new regulation is that you need two years of work experience to be eligible for a work permit. I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced, but assuming that it is (and assuming that you don't have work experience) it would be impossible for you to obtain one.

The Confirmation Letter of Retaining Foreign Experts issued by the State Bureau of Foreign Experts is part of the system which used to control the entry of foreigners to work in China. Places like schools and universities would be given permission to employ a foreigner, and so would then get this letter, which they let you have, which lets you get a Z visa. So, first of all, ask the school why they haven't let you also have this.

If they don't have it, it doesn't mean you can't take up the job - but it may mean you can't get a Z visa.

Some people do short-term jobs (and yours would count as that) from a tourist visa and extensions of their tourist visa. The terms of a tourist visa are that you're not there working. So, that puts you in a weak position if they find your face doesn't fit, or if there are power games going on in the background that have little or nothing to do with you. Your presence will be known of by the local authorities, and bringing an early end to your job and your trip can be the nasty sort of surprise you then face. But many people do that and have no problems. Everyone turns a blind eye because they want to make it work and not generate trouble. The school is in the position to know all of this - and will sort it if they want you.

Thank you for all your replies. It would seem that I would have to be extremely lucky to obtain the Z-visa then ! I am not the first foreign teacher the school has appointed, and yes it does seem a little odd that they haven't sorted out all documents for the Z-visa. Perhaps they want me to go on an F/L-visa as I am only there for 3 months.

It would seem as the F-visa would be best for me. Would I have to lie about being paid for the teaching if I was quizzed about it at any stage? Could I perhaps say that instead of payment the school have subsidised my airfare and subsequent travel around China? What should I give as my reason for visiting China? Would I have to register at a Police station when I arrive?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm afraid I am a bit of newbie when it comes to visas other than the tourist visa and the embassy website doesn't always provide all the information required !

Charlie

it does seem a little odd that they haven't sorted out all documents for the Z-visa
No it doesn't. If you aren't going to be teaching there for at least a year, they won't do this for you. Anything less than 6 months is usually done with an F-visa, which is used for people who are "invited to China for a visit, an investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no more than six months." What you are doing could easily be classed under cultural exchange or internship. And as you are only going to be there for 3 months, it's perfectly normal that they haven't given you paperwork to get a Z-visa.

In any event, you don't get to choose what type of visa you apply for. The embassy/consulate does this based on the materials you submit. Even if you had the Confirmation Letter of Retaining Foreign Experts, the embassy issuing the visa might still decide that an F-visa was all that was required. To be honest, the F-visa is a lot less hassle, as you don't need to worry about medical exams and the like.

There is no F-visa form. The form is the same for all visas. It's probably best to ask the school what you should write on the form. Whatever it is, it should match up with what the invitation letter says. I doubt they will ask you about being paid, but even if they do, there is nothing wrong with being paid for an internship or for a cultural exchange.