Chinese-Forums

ANKI problems

JenniferW

A Heisig-deck is a pre-made deck/layout for people who learn with the book written by Heisig. So you chose the wrong model to start with. If you tell me how you want your deck, I can create one for you, so you can easily import stuff.

I presume you want fields something like:

1. 你好

2. ni3hao3

3. hello

and you want to be tested in the following way:

a) question 1. answer. 2.,3.

B) question 2.,3. answer: 1.

Anyhow, however you want it, I will gladly try to help out. If you want a rough howto-list I can help too.

Edited by HerrPetersen

When I try to import a file, I'm only being offered Heisig - it's the only model in the list. When I go into DECK PROPERTIES, it's still the only option of model type. So, do you think there's been a glitch in downloading? Do I uninstall and download again?

Although I want character + pinyin + translation, I only need testing on characters to pinyin. I don't have any problems with knowing the English. In my first steps of learning a character I seem to get the meaning fixed quickly and mostly accurately. I also get the phonemes pretty well. What I don't remember is the correct tones. So I want to be tested on characters and the pinyin with tone marking - but like the translation coming up as a reminder at the checking/correction stage (which ZDT does).

I appreciate the offer to make me an importable file, but unless you're offering to do this ad nauseam I've got to sort out how to do this for myself! But should we email directly on this rather than go via the forum? Or should we do this via the forum for the benefit of other who may have the same or similar problems?

When you chose file-->new you should start out with a "simple front to back, back to front" deck and not the Heisig-deck. In case you still need help, I would create one into which you could easily import data (so I would not help you each time you put in new stuff (if that is what you meant by ad nauseam (my latin has been ages)))

Here a rough draft more or less by memory (I followed the steps though with anki open), so just say if it does not work:

1. Open Anki
  2. File --> New. File -->saveas "yourdesiredfilename"
  3. Deck-->Deck Properties
  4. There should be a list of you models, so in the standard deck only sth like "simple"
  5. select "edit"
  6. Change your model-name from "simple" to "mandarin" and change the "basic" tag to "mandarin".
  7. In the "Fields"-field select "front" rename to "hanzi", select "back" rename to "meaning", click on "add field" and name it "pinyin". If you don't want the fields to be necessarily unique or non-empty uncheck "prevent double entries" and "prevent empty fields" in the fields options below for each field you have (hanzi, pinyin, meaning).
    You might have different words with the same pronounciation or so, so think about it.
  8. Click on "Card Templates" on the top righ of the window
  9. Select "Reverse" and delete.
  10. Select "Forward" and write "MandarinStandard" in the name field
  11. In the question field there should be something like "%(hanzi)s" so this is fine.
  12. Write" %(meaning)s" and "%(pinyin)s" into the answer field
  13. You probably want to uncheck "allow empty answer"
  14. Click "close" and "file-->save" So you are finally done creating Deck

Admittedly pretty tough stuff, but once this is done you can easily import stuff. And it might give you an idea how to setup a deck with other features.

Importing stuff:

1. select your data in your excel/oo-file
  2. paste in a .txt file. Make sure the data comes up in three columns.
  3. select "save as" select "UTF-8" in "codation" (standard codation cannot read hanzi) and save the file
  4. close
  5. open you anki deck and select File-->Import Data
  6. "Model" should already say "MandarinStandard" like you set it up above
  7. Click "choose file" select your text file.
  8. match the fields in your anki-deck with the data in the text file and import
  9. hopefully it works.

There used to be a "standard mandarin"-deck, but it seems to be gone now (and wasn't doing exactly what you want anyway). Anyhow, if you still need help, I can email you the deck, just give me your email via post-message.

Edited by HerrPetersen
  • Like 1

You talked about the testing order...

and you want to be tested in the following way:

a) question 1. answer. 2.,3.

B) question 2.,3. answer: 1.

/QUOTE]

Is it possible to adjust it which is tested first and and which it tested afterwards. My installation seems to be test B) first and then a). I would like to be tested on a) first so that I can get familiar... and then get tested on B)... but I cannot find the control for testing methods.

Thank for your advice...

There should be tags attatched to your a) and B) (if it is the standard deck it should be something like "recognition" and "production" or "forward" and "backward" (not sure; check in the card-editor what tags are available)

Under "properties-->deck properties-->models and priorities" you can write down the tags into the "high priority, .., low priority"-fields according to your preferences.

Edited by HerrPetersen

Thank for the hints...

I finally managed to figure it out how to adjust what is tested first/second...

In the Mandarin Pack... it is set up to test on Recognition and Production... by going to Settings ==> Deck Properties==> Models & Priorities and then choose the model you want to edit. Under Card Templates you can adjust which is test first/second... you can also add on other testing modes.

I am just starting to realize how flexible this program can be.

Can you change the fonts used? I don't like the font used for presenting Chinese characters - not sure what it is - and know there are others which are more familiar. I also think some mult-syllable items are being presented using more than one font.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers to the various questions I posted.

I've now been using ANKI regularly for a week or so, am getting used to it, and like it a lot. One of the things I really appreciate is having a machine doing the boring task of sorting out what to practice and test (etc). I hadn't realised just how fed up I get of that aspect of learning characters. This seems magic.

I ended up using the cut and paste into Notepad method of making files which one of you suggested, and it's worked and also seems to work for updating and increasing the deck of cards.

I'm also using the ANKI forum (google groups), and although most of what people post is way beyond my understanding, it's sorted out loads of my idiot-level queries. So thanks for the recommendation for that, too.

I'm also just beginning to use Anki for the Heisig method. (The book should be arriving in a couple of days.)

I'm a little confused in that, after downloading the Heisig deck for Hanzi, the answer flashcards all have '画数: ,' on them, along with the English answer and the Heisig number. I presume this is the stroke count - is there some way to stop it from displaying, as none of the cards have a value for this field?

Also, users of Anki/Heisig: do you find it useful to fill in the story field for the flashcards, as you review them?