Chinese-Forums

Journey into South Korea

bhchao

National Geographic this month published an interesting article on the plight of North Korean refugees in China, and their journey across China into Thailand: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/02/north-korea/oneill-text

From the perspective of the North Korean refugee, do not trust anyone in China offering to help you find a job in China. The only genuine source of assistance comes from Korean missionaries in China. Too often, unscrupulous individuals promising a better economic life for the refugees have placed them in the sex industry, or sold them into marriage.

The article also touches upon the tactics used to evade arrest during the underground journey into Laos and Thailand.

. Sincerely appreciated, food for my students .... if they'll believe it.

Your Chinese students, I assume? I wonder how they will react and what their own thoughts are. If you get around to it, would you be willing to share some of their reactions to this article with us?

Thanks!

Chinese students indeed. Around 18-20 of age.

I'll expect it to be received with great disbelief ... as with many other news reports not commonly found (or countered) in the Chinese media.

However, one student who understands it a little bit will mean victory for me. :mrgreen:

Honestly, the school doesn't formally allow me to discuss hot topics. However, as students are curious, there's always some curriculum topic in which suddenly this topic could be used as an example.

On the other hand, I also teach adult students, usually with management experience. They will bring up news topics themselves, just out of curiosity of what the foreigner thinks. And even they might not agree, they always show respect to my opinion, whether subjective or objective.

What's important is that I never try to push my own opinion and just try to give them food for thought. After all, I'm not on a crusade here. :wink:

And of course, I'll be happy to post my experiences, especially since what happens in Beijing is far far far away land. So opinions will differ here from what people in bigger cities might have.

What's important is that I never try to push my own opinion and just try to give them food for thought. After all, I'm not on a crusade here

That's great to hear. I feel that too many Westerners come to China without much prior knowledge and feel that they have to push certain topics; just because every Westerner seems to be doing it.