Chinese-Forums

My Xiangsheng Recording

xiaojiang216

大家好!Hi everyone!

I am performing a xiangsheng for a Chinese New Year festival at my school (yes, it is a little late). I'm really nervous, so I'm trying to memorize it by making a recording of me doing the routine, and going back and listening to it a lot. This is based off of a xiangsheng by 马季 (Ma Ji) called "广东话".

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are some phrases in Tianjin, Shanghai, and Guangzhou dialect. If anyone speaks those dialects, do you have any pointers on how to prounce the words better? I didn't put much enthusiasm into it as I am just trying to get the routine right. I find that I can put more enthusiasm and "punch" into it with nervous energy.

Any help would be really appreciated! I threw this recording together really quickly, so my apologies if I sound bad. (I am a non-native speaker.)

Here's the link to the mp3 file:

http://www.webfile.ws/d/8522

The password is: xiang4sheng5

Thanks so much!!! :mrgreen:

Dammit, my browser crashed while I was trying to reply >.<

Your putonghua sounds really good! :) As for Cantonese/广州话, here are my comments (caveat: I am not a native Cantonese speaker):

马季:In Yale romanisation, it should be ma5 gwai3. The '3' in 'gwai3' is not like Mandarin third tone. Rather, it's a middle-level, flat tone. You can try saying it like Mandarin first tone, but then lower it so it is neither at a high pitch nor a low pitch, almost as if it had 'no pitch'. I think that's the best way I can describe it. As for the vowel in 'gwai3', it is somewhere between Mandarin 'ui' and 'uai' - listen here.

Numbers:

一 :In Yale romanisation, it should be yat1. The vowel should sound like the 'u' in English 'but', and the 't' is not actually pronounced, but you position your tongue as if you were going to pronounce it (I know there's a proper technical term for this, which someone else will probably provide :mrgreen: )

六 :In Yale romanisation, it should be 'luk6'. The 6 indicates a low tone, which you pronounced fine, but the actual sound should be like Mandarin 'lu' with a 'k' which is not actually pronounced (but you put your tongue in that position).

八 :In Yale romanisation, it should be 'baat3'. Like Mandarin 'ba' but with a slightly elongated vowel and a final 't' (not pronounced, as for 一 / yat1). The tone should be mid-level and flat.

Here/喺呢度 : in Yale romanisation, it should be 'hai2 ni1 dou6.' I think it would sound better if you made your 'ni1' slightly higher, almost like Mandarin first tone.

Anyway hope that helps - 加油!

Thanks for the pointers! I can't speak much Cantonese, so I was wondering about that. Thank you! Was there anything regarding pronunciation in Mandarin?

Edit: Also, does anyone find this offensive to Southern Chinese people? I really don't want to offend anyone. I was really worried when I saw some negative posts on Ma Ji's version on

The Cantonese 季 should not sound like Mandarin 鬼. It is romanized gwai3, but it should not sound like 怪 either. This is MDBG stuff for 季. You can click on "gwai3" to hear it pronounced, but the audio file sucks.

一二三四五六七八九十 are read

is many languages, including Cantonese.

没什么呀~ this recording isn't that great. It turned out really well when I performed it, probably because I was under some pressure. I wish I had a recording of it! I did however speak a litte too fast because of nerves. How could I improve this if I ever perform it again? 谢谢大家!:mrgreen:

Edited by xiaojiang216

• 2 years later...

大家好~

I just thought I would share another video with you all. This was recorded at the ending ceremony of my semester abroad in Beijing. The 相声 I performed with my very tall classmate to my right is based off of one that 大山 and 赵炎 did years ago called 《一样不一样》, which can be found here .

You can watch our performance

or here if you are unable to access YouTube. You can skip the first minute and a half, as it is slow because I was very nervous and forgot most of my lines! My parents don't even believe this is me because I would never dare to get on a stage and perform like this! :mrgreen: If you have any suggestions about how to improve my Chinese, I would love to hear them. 谢谢!

—小陶

• Like 2