Chinese-Forums

Adding/Updating a Dictionary

jjamison

It surely must be in some help file somewhere, but I've spent two hours trying to update my cedict to a newer version, and I'm not getting anywhere. My questions are:

1. What is the most up-to-date dictionary? I've found cedict updates at

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=cedict

Is this right?

2. How do I update the existing cedict?

Please help.

John

Edited by jjamison
Forgot the "ZDT:"

Good to know. Now I've got this file downloaded from them:

cedict_1_0_ts_utf-8_mdbg.zip

which contains:

cedict_ts.u8

I checked if I just needed to use this to replace a file in my ZDT program, but a search didn't turn up any matches.

Surely others are already updating their dictionaries, and it's just my own simple mindedness. But what is the way to do this?

AFAIK the only standard way of getting a new dictionary is to wait for Chris to post a new one. I think the latest that is available is 0.4. [That's Chris' numbering.] There is also a version of ADSO dictionary.

However, the dictionary format is pretty simple. If you are good with text processing programs, you should be able to write a program to generate one pretty fast. Or you could ask Chris if he could post his version so we all could update our dictionaries when we want.

Seriously, there are hot keys for changing between dictionaries, but I still haven't found any instructions for how to get the dictionaries into ZDT. I have downloaded some dictionaries, but have no idea how to get them into ZDT.

Am I missing something really obvious? It seems like there should be a quick/simple answer to this :help.

John

The dictionary zdt reads in is in a zdt-specific format. If you look at any of the .jar files for the dictionaries it's pretty obvious. So there is no "drop in" replacement of dictionaries, you need to convert it first into zdt format.