Chinese-Forums

罗嗦 - the right characters

atitarev

啰嗦 is correct for the simplified form. The confusion between 罗 and 啰 came about because 囉 had been simplified to 罗, but this was adjusted when the simplification scheme was re-released in 1986.

在第二表“罗”字字头下删去繁体字[囉],“囉”依简化偏旁“罗”类推简化为“啰”。
瞭 in 瞭望 is a similar case (up until a short while ago, even the illustrious Baidu mistakenly simplified this to 了望, but that seems to have been corrected at long last).

Yaowen Jiaozi lists 罗嗦 as #49 on its list of usage mistakes, and gives 啰嗦 as the correct version.

Edited by zhwj

hehe, lots of wrong usage in languages turn out to be correct finally, simply becuz there are more ppl who make mistake than those who do correctly.

错的人多了自然成对的了

I suddenly remember some examples.

莫名其妙(correct), 莫明其妙(wrong)

玟,the correct pronunciation is min3, but nowadays more and more ppl would like to say wen2. (to a large extent, that's becuz the famous singer Coco Li 李玟. Her name is Li3 Wen2, I think her parent just mistook it from the right beginning, hehe)

1"Not all men came." 2"All men didn't come." 3"None of the ppl came." Many ppl would say 2 and 3 got the same meaning. However, in a grammar book, it's 1 and 2 that got the same meaning.

He is better than I. He is better than me. Lots of ppl would say both are right, but the case was probably not so at the right beginning.

Edited by mr.demoman

玟,the correct pronunciation is min3, but nowadays more and more ppl would like to say wen2. (to a large extent, that's becuz the famous singer Coco Li 李玟. Her name is Li3 Wen2, I think her parent just mistook it from the right beginning, hehe)

Wrong. It has nothing to do with her parents. It's Coco Lee [Lee because she was born in Hong Kong, even though most of her songs are in Mandarin and she was raised in Taiwan, doesn't make it correct to spell it as "Li"]. Coco Lee & 李玟 are both her stage names. Whoever gave her that name 玟, has changed the pronunciation due to popular use of mistakenly taking the right sided character as the phonetic [文], while leaving the right hand part [seen as 王, but as a part of characters, it's the 玉 radical] as the semantic. 玟 has always been "min3", unless it was used as a specialized word or to make it sound "outstanding". You might not be able to find the correct pronunciation for 玟 or can't even find the word in a modern dictionary. You'll have to revert back to old dictionaries like Kangxi or Shuowen Jiezi, etc... to find the word, pronunciation and definition of the word. Some online dictionaries will not have it. Some words of old are reduced to only one pronunciation in Modern Chinese.

The name she used before transforming into "Coco Lee" was Ferren Lee [go figure]. Her birth name was "Lǐ Měi Lín (李美林)". [since she was born in Hong Kong, her name in Cantonese should "Lee Mei Lum" "Lee May* Lum", etc... ]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Lee

*Since Hong Kong uses both Cantonese & English as official languages, "May Lum Lee" might have been used for identifying purposes or if she attends school in Hong Kong, if she didn't already have an English name?

Edited by trien27
additional information