Chinese-Forums

Tianjin - which Uni?

HLK

I am considering studying mandarin for up to a year in Tian Jin. Not sure which uni offers the best Mandarin course for foreigners - Nankai Uni, TianJin Uni, TianJin Normal Uni, etc.... I have had prior learning in high school so I do have some basics. Any one willing to share their experiences or knowledge of Tian Jin universities is much appreciated.

Also, in general, what is the teaching method used by all Chinese universities - do they teach Mandarin with English translation or is it purely taught in Mandarin only?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My GF is studying in Tianjin at Nankai University. From discussions with her classmates and other students in Tianjin, I have come to understand that Nankai is considered the best inTianjin, but Tianjin University is also pretty good.

But after seeing my gf's experiences this spring I can't reccommend Tianjin univ to you. During late May American students started going there to study on study abroad programs sponsored by their universities (I think Johns Hopkins is one such university that sends students there). Once this happened, the students enrolled in the one year course had to have their teachers changed and their schedules rearranged in order to accommodate the american students. Originally they had a rather simple 8-12 morning schedule 5 days a week, but it quickly contorted into having some afternoon classes on some days, having one class on some days, and they found some of their best teachers were switched out of their classes. They complained, but to no avail. I could see that situation repeating itself. ..

Nankai Uni provides the best Mandarin program, though Tianda is a nicer environment to hang out in (it is cleaner & they don't let many cars in). Despite what people say about Tianjin (that it is boring & shitty), it is really cheap & safe place to study, plus it is close to Beijing & the people are much nicer than Beijing. There also aren't that many foreigners so we are still seen as an oddity, which has it's good & bad points.

Of course, everything is taught in chinese.

Thanks guys for the info!

I am appalled and outraged by the university kowtowing to a particular group of people and giving preferential treatment. After all, we are all full fee paying and should be treated equally like any other students.

This has certainly turned me off going to Tianjin Uni!

Perhaps I shall consider Hangzhou instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I'm a newbie here

just call me Teddy "the bear"

and planning to go to Tianjin univ. for Chinese Language course this semester...but do any of you guys know the admission information (details such as admission deadline etc.)??? I already apply to Tianjin, e-mail the admission office as well, but there seem no reply or whatsoever,

pheeewww...anyone would help me please???