Chinese-Forums

Train Ticket from BJ to Qingdao

viking86

Does anyone know how often the trains leave from BJ to Qingdao and back? And to book the ticket back from Qingdao to BJ, can I book it once I get to Qingdao (that is if there are seats available....)

I'm referring to the fast speed trains that leave from beijing railway station- T25 to Qingdao and T26 back to BJ (not the trains that leave from beijing south railway station).

The tickets are 210 for the cheapest hard sleeper, one way. Is there any way to get them cheaper if I need to leave next Thursday night?

If you're looking for a specific train number, then it‘ll be one a day. Anything at a different time would have a different number. No way to get train tickets cheaper, and they don't fluctuate in price depending on when you buy them.

Qingdao's a pain to get to by train (or at least it used to be).

I know you said you didn't want them, but I have to recommend the fast trains (D class) from Beijing south station. They take about 6 hours, have seats only (first and second class) although not like normal hard seat trains (they are more like coach seats) and cost about 280 for second class. There are 7 (I think) per day and they are quite easy to get tickets for (because they are expensive by Chinese train standards).

The other train - the T one - has only one per day and is very hard to get tickets for because its the only cheapish train on that route.

Oh and at stations you should be able to buy tickets to and from qingdao at the same time.

Practice your Chinese by checking the schedules on this website:

http://tielu.org

As suggested above, so many D trains vs. one T train really force you out to Beijing Nan Zhan. Remember that it's moved some way beyond the old location and public transport to the new location isn't great, though it'll be better once the subway expansion is complete.

• 2 months later...

The overnight T25 is pretty handy as it leaves Beijing (站) at 11pm, and gets in to Qingdao at 7.30am. Basically you get on, go to sleep, and then you're in Qingdao. The returning T26* isn't so good - can't remember the exact times, it's something like 8pm to 5.30am. It's hard enough to like the train station at the best of times, at 5.30am? I got a ticket 5 days in advance, but only top bunks were left at that point.

Was very impressed with soft seat on the D express trains - loooooooooads of room. If only the armrests lifted up so you could lie down. First time I've used Beijing South - was off the train and in a taxi within 5 minutes, which earns it a double thumbs up from me.

*Is there a convention for the odd-even numbering. Odd trains go south?

• 2 weeks later...