Chinese-Forums

Kid's Book Grammar

Yukamina

So I've decided to learn to read Chinese simply by, well, reading Chinese. Not worrying about pinyin either. I already know about 2000 kanji from studying Japanese, so I don't think I'm completely crazy.

Anyway I got this simple children's picture book, and surprisingly I understand most of it with the help of a dictionary. But since I'm a newbie to Chinese, there were some things I couldn't make sense of...

水对这里的人们来说,比黄金还要珍贵。 I think this means "Water to these people is more precious than gold."

But I don't understand what 还要 means.

因为他把它最宝贵的财产和村子里的所有人分享。

I don't understand what the 他把它 means, and I'm not sure about 和(and?) and 里(in?).

他和他的儿子朱立安还会帮大家汲水,挑水。"He and his son ____ ___ help everyone draw and carry water."

I think 朱立安 is the son's name? And I don't know what 还会 means.

他会在朱立安帮人汲水时,。。。

I don't understand 会在.

在他们有需要的时候,他随时都会帮助他们。"

I don't understand 都会 here. I get the feeling it doesn't mean 'city'. It appear a lot like this.

I have more questions, but I'll stop here. If someone could help me I'd be very grateful ^-^

1.The expression "还要" modifies the adjective "珍贵", it deepens the degree of "珍贵". Also, "还要" means "still".For example, "你还要去趟学校接孩子。"it means before asking you to do this job, you have already done other things, this is a addional work that you have to do. Sometimes, "还要"means "still needs something". For example, “你还要吗?”“要."

2. "他把它" the pronoun 它 refers to the animal, you should not use it call person. If you don't make sure before 他把它 , there is a animal, it may be 他把他. the second 他 means himself. you are right. 和 means “and”。 里 means "inner of something".

3.朱立安(zhu li'an) is a name. 朱 is his surname. 还会 means "something exists except for something, " For example, you can sing, write, dance and ski. i can say it like this"you can sing, write and dance. you 还会 ski."

4. 会在 is not a words. you should understand it seperately. 、‘在。。。时’means "when", "as". 会 means "able to" "can".

5.when 都会 means city, it should read "duhui". but here, it doesn't mean this. It read "douhui", means "even". it deepens the word 会。