Chinese-Forums

What are you reading?

skylee

I am about to finish reading 北京法源寺 by 李敖. IMHO it is not a great novel, because it lacks what I think are important for a novel - interesting plot, well-developed characters. There are not enough description on what the characters do. Instead there are lengthy dialogues on what the characters think.

But it is still worth reading. I like how the author values the failed Wuxu Reform and the reformers involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finished the first chapter of 射雕英雄传, which is about 40 pages!

So far so good, it went more easily than expected. The last time I tried reading it (about 3 months ago), I was really struggling, but this time it's fine.

I'll see if I can finish the first book by the end of the summer.

I've recently finished one of the 兒童書 versions of 西遊記, it was just 250pg long with large-ish characters (much simpler than the classic, but still had a lot of 文言文 which made it a bit tough for me (as I've just go an inter to upper-inter level of Chinese).

There is so much reading material in Taiwan, I've seen at least 10 - 15 different versions of 西遊記 for kids alone!

At the moment I'm struggling with 三國演義; again, I'm just reading one of those kids versions with about 200 - 300 pages. I'm just about to finish the first chapter but I've had to go through it about 3 times to get a firm understanding!

Congrats renzhe! I've finished the first chapter of Shu jian en chou ji, which is about 50 pages. The going is slow but good, it got somewhat easier after the first few pages. Or maybe it is because I have a lot of time on my hands these days. That's the good part of the Transsiberian. The less good part is that I brought my smallest dictionary, and am often left wondering just what weapons they're hitting each other with.

I could not finish "香港大老 何東". The book is not in a style that I like. It is more like a research paper (quoting lots of references and sources) than a biography. I find it very dry.

I am now reading a light novel "彩雲國物語" borrowed from my niece. I am reading volume three. The book is intended for young people but I like the story (so far). :mrgreen: Online version -> http://book.sky-fire.com/Novel/2348/MainIndex.html

The cartoon is also interesting -> http://so.youku.com/search_playlist/q_%E5%BD%A9%E4%BA%91%E5%9B%BD%E7%89%A9%E8%AF%AD

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Japanese author Haruki Murakami (村上春樹) in Chinese translation (traditional characters.)

The book is called "遇見100%的女孩" and while each story only runs about 8 pages, they tend to be both accessible and complex, even mysterious. The style kind of reminds me of JD Salinger in some ways, but the author's voice and vision are really unique. Murakami's famous "Norwegian Wood" "挪威的森林" is up next once I finish that, then it's on to some Chinese sci fi...

I just finished "红太阳是怎样升起的:延安整风运动的来龙去脉“, which is a very good book about the 整风运动 "the rectification campaign", which solidified Mao's power within the Party, and set the stage for all the other similar, violent political campaigns of the future. I think if you want to understand the Party's internal organizational culture, norms, and ideology, and if you want some background on some of the important figures in modern Chinese history (ie. Mao, Liu Shaoqi, Kang Sheng, Ren Bishi, Wang Ming, Zhou Enlai, Peng Dehuai, Deng Liqun, Hu Qiaomu, Peng Zhen, Gao Gang....etc.) studying this era is fairly important.

Anyway, that was a book that I had been reading on and off for the last year. Now I'm going to try to finish another book that I've been reading on and off for the last year: 三国演义。I was reading about two or thee chapters a day last year back in the fall and got up to 六十八回, but then I got distracted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Long time between posts here, so a short update. I'm 150 pages into 射雕英雄传, and I'm really enjoying it.

At this tempo, I will finish it on my deathbed, but I'm not giving up. It got easier after I got accustomed to the style and some of the 武侠 special vocabulary.

I'm reading "高兴" by 贾平凹, and have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's written from the perspective of a 收破烂 from the countryside working in Xian so the narrative isn't too difficult. I well recommend it

Finally getting into the second part of "Brother's" 兄弟 by Yu Hua 余华. I'm enjoying it, but also looking forward to reading something lighter next.

I also bought 黄集伟 ”小规模荡气回肠“ , the sixth volume of his series. I haven't read any of the others. Honestly, there's a LOT in this book that I won't be able to understand without being online.

This is an awesome resource for modern Chinese expressions - and for cultural background.

I read about 黄集伟 in this article

http://www.nanfangdaily.com.cn/nfzz/200808050128.asp

• 1 month later...

I've just finished 手, by 萧红. Took me a few hours.

A nice story, I enjoyed it, the style in particular.

You can find it at the Chinese text sampler. Not too difficult as far as modern literature goes. Worth a read.

About 250 pages into 射雕, but I'll read a short story from time to time, because finishing it will probably take me a large part of 2009.

Next, I'll give 鲁迅's 药 a try, it's short and looks managable. (EDIT: Finished it, and it was good.)

Edited by renzhe

I like Xiao Hong's short stories as well, particularly 手. If you want to give something longer a whirl, try 生死场. It was the first Chinese book I read (meaning about China, I read it in translation back then) and gave me quite a deep impression. Haven't read the original yet, but it's on my list.

Currently not reading anything Chinese myself, dipping in and out of The New Penguin History of the World, and reading Please Kill Me, a collection about interviews about the Punk movement in 1970's New York.

renzhe-

how come it takes you so long to read the books? do you stop and look up every character you dont know? must be tedious. i find skipping a few words and continuing the story to be more enjoyable, but whenever i find something of interest i may look it up and learn it. i cant imagine doing that for every unknown word in an entire novel though.

thanks for that link to the "chinese text sampler", btw!

happy reading!