Chinese-Forums

What are you reading?

skylee

What I've read from Mo Yan in Chinese, it's very very difficult - chengyu upon chengyu upon chengyu. Apart from that, Big breasts... didn't have very good reviews, but ymmv of course. Read one Wang Shuo book in translation and liked it a lot, but the plot was rather complicated, so depending on how hard his Chinese is, might be a difficult or an interesting read. No idea about 阿城, the 棋王 I read was by 张系国 (I liked it). For 7 rmb, I think I'd start on 阿城 :-)

What I've read from Mo Yan in Chinese, it's very very difficult - chengyu upon chengyu upon chengyu. Apart from that, Big breasts... didn't have very good reviews, but ymmv of course. Read one Wang Shuo book in translation and liked it a lot, but the plot was rather complicated, so depending on how hard his Chinese is, might be a difficult or an interesting read. No idea about 阿城, the 棋王 I read was by 张系国 (I liked it). For 7 rmb, I think I'd start on 阿城 :-) 

I downloaded a the sample of 莫言's 《生死老皮》 from Amazon China last night.  The first 5 pages of the book are an introduction of important characters... the character telling the story was killed and came back to life as a donkey...  Seems interesting, but yes, seems difficult.  From my experience if a book requires the first pages to be dedicated to explaining the characters and relations prior to the story beginning it is not going to be a light read.

As for 阿城, I downloaded the sample of his book of works last night and the first story is 《棋王》.  I read the entire sample, and it seems good so far.  About a young man during the cultural revolution who has a love for chess.  If nothing else I will be able to play a game of chess in China and use the proper words. :)

About 阿城's book of works only being 7RMB... Amazon China is great.  I wish I would've linked my Kindle to the China store months ago.  The 莫言 books above are only around 2 RMB.  The prices of books on Amazon China are so cheap there is no point to waste my time looking for quality 盗版 ebooks on the net.  I will happily pay the price in the Amazon China store and save my time for reading instead of researching where to download.

For school, 《閩客方言史稿》 by 張光宇. I'm copying out 智永's《真草千字文》 and the 《說文解字》 (again) by hand for my 書法研究 class.

For pleasure, I'm reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami (in English). Next up will be either Battle Royale by Takami or Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

From my experience if a book requires the first pages to be dedicated to explaining the characters and relations prior to the story beginning it is not going to be a light read.

Either that, or under-edited... I read a writer advise somewhere to write a book and then scratch the first chapter altogether, plunging the reader right into the action without first introducing everyone.

Just read Perry Link say about 阿城 that his book was so interesting because it was tearing away from CR language, and now I want to read it too. If I can finish 杜拉拉 this week...

Picked up two books, will start to read them both and see if one pulls me in more than the other and stick with that one or read in parallel.

《阿城精选集》  collection of works by 阿城

《我是个算命先生》by 易之

I picked both of these up as samples on Kindle and read the entire sample of both, like both of them enough to dive in... let's see what happens.

The other non-Chinese book I'm reading is "Good to Great:  Why Some Companies Make the Leap, and Others Don't" by Jim Collins

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to give a big thumbs up to the book I just finished, 《棋王》by 阿城.  Really good book.  Prior to reading it my friend explained the book to me as,  “武侠小说的描写,佛教一样的内科".  I liked it a lot.

Try 汪曾祺's 受戒 when you get the chance. It's definitely along the lines of 佛教的内科.

I'd also highly recommend the movie "孩子王" adapted from 阿城's novella of the same name (part of the "王" series) and directed by 陈凯歌 when he was still good.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, laurenth. You've managed to make 古龍 sound interesting. :P

I have read a couple of his books when I was young, but either because I didn't like them or there were better options, like 金庸 and 亦舒,I have not read any more of his books, no matter how famous they are. I don't mean to read them now either, but your version is interesting.

Thanks Skylee. Frankly, I don't know anything about Gu Long, so I come with an open mind :) I don't know anything about wuxia either, for that matter. From what I've heard 金庸 is way above my level. So Gu Long it will be.

• 2 weeks later...
I posted more info about 古龙's 流星·蝴蝶·剑 in a new dedicated thread.Hopefully I'll post more writeups over there as I go on reading.

Thanks for doing this. I have here the paper trad character edition that I am packing up for the internship for leisure reading and hope to see your writeups. 

• 4 weeks later...

After finishing 饥饿游戏三部曲, today I began 找死专卖店, the translation of the French novel "Le magasin des suicides", by Jean Teulé. I'm still at chapter 3, but it looks great!: the book isn't too long (163 pages), chapters are very short, the language is fairly easy and it's a funny story. I discovered it by chance while browsing Dangdang, and it seems perfect for me!

post-39698-0-29010900-1400706731_thumb.jpg

post-39698-0-88533900-1400707629_thumb.jpg

• Like 2