Chinese-Forums

Beihang University

epel_epon

I've been studying there for a couple of months: 4 hours of chinese everyday, 5 times a week (Writing, speaking, and 4 hours of listening).

I think the courses there are pretty decent. Even if some teachers are not as good as in BLCU, it is enough. After, it just depends on you, will you do your homeworks seriously ?

As for the atmosphere, it is different from BLCU: just around 12 classrooms, all in the same row: you always see the same people and can get to know them. Whereas in BLCU, you may feel lonely among the hundreds of foreign students.

Another thing I like in Beihang is that most of the students are asian: 40% korean, 40% south-east Asia, and only 15% USA/Europe.

But the best in Beihang is the price of course, much cheaper than any other university.

thanks for replying.im so scared that no one will reply me. :)

yeah actually im thinking to go BLCU but i saw my cousin(which went there for 1 year) didnt even really read mandarin. i think its because too much foreigner there.

so basically everyone know everyone there?cos i know no one in beijing and i think im gonna stay in their dorm. may i know where did you live?outside sch or in the sch?

so do you like it there?how about the weather in beijing?

ill be most prob going there in September.

The thing I don't like in BLCU is that there are too many americans and canadians there, and you'll never speak chinese with people whose mother thongue is english. But with europeans, even if they can speak good english, you may speak chinese to them more naturally, at least for fun.

I can't tell that everyone knows everyone in Beihang. But just, as there are less than 150 students, you always see the same faces, and you may get to know them for real, and meet them everyday. Whereas in BLCU, even if you meet someone cool at the canteen, the probability won't meet him again on the next day.

There is a dorm for foreigners on the campus. Half of people there are chinese learning studentsand the other half is PhD students (old guys from Pakistan usually) .

• Like 1

There are 2 dorms:

- Main one in the campus (just for foreigners). You have your own room, and 2 rooms share the kitchen and bathroom. Cost 1500 RMB per month

- Second one just oustide the campus, most of students there are chinese graduate students. 1 appartment = 3 rooms + 3 bathroom (but not kitchen). You can share the room with someone (750 RMB), or take the room alone (1500 RMB). You are not in the campus, but it just takes 10 min to go to classrom. The great thing is that you are very near the subway and all kind of shops, whereas from the main dorm, it takes 10 min more.

Just contact the international school office when you apply.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't learn Chinese at Beihang but I do teach there. The campus is huge but has a nice park and a few good, cheap canteens. It is walking distance from Wudaokou and Zhichunlu subway stations and very close to the Zhongguancun tech area. Beihang was also an olympic venue and has a mix of traditional and modern buildings.

Nearby Wudaokou also has a tonne of private 1:1 Chinese schools so you could also try some of them if you wanted to practice more. Not too expensive.

It would be great to meet some of the Chinese language students at Beihang -- if anyone is reading this, send me a message and let's have a coffee!

J

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone?

I know the semester already started, but i just quit my job and am looking for Chinese programs... someone I met who attends here says that people sometimes join the program late, so he didn't think it would be a problem for me to start a few weeks into the semester.

I would also love to hear if anyone has any thoughts about this school, especially regarding the classroom environment / teachers.

The class is quite nice. Teachers are nice n friendly. etc.

I'm currently studying here. I'm personally quite satisfied with it. If u have anything u wish to know more, or u havent decided yet where to go, feel free to drop me a PM. =) You will be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

I've already started a thread about my dilemma choosing between Beihang uni or private school CLE and was almost settled on the latter but have just got a reply from Beihang saying they can do an 8 week course in September and thought it'd be best to ask qus about the uni on this thread!

I'd be doing an absolute beginners course. I'm just a bit worried about the class sizes and how effective the classes will be for someone learning from scratch - can anyone let me know about their own experiences?

Also I notice that for the accommodation you have to pay your own electricity bills - can anyone give me an idea of how much that is per month? Also are the dorms nice?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I have mailed an application to beishida and e-mailed another one to beihang university. The woman in the office who is taking care of the application is so helpful and swift so I will probably go for beihang. I am not 100% clear on the procedure though. I have e-mailed the application form + scanned passport copy, and she asked for the invoice for the registration fee. She answererd me that everything is ok now (after I e-mailed the passport copy) and I think she said (language barrier) that she will send me the visa document (to apply for 1 year student Visa?). Does that mean that I am accepted etc?

The online application status says: "Application Status: Materials Approved ".

but on the application state tab says:"Congratulations! Your application materials have been approved and you are pre-admitted

Please pay 400 Yuan for registration fee.".

The registration fee is paid and invoice is e-mailed to her, and she said she approved it. So I guess the system is not updated yet?

I'm happy with their service so far, I take this as a good sign.. =)

Reading this thread does sounds very promising as I am trying to avoid being in an native english speaking environment. My friends here in the corridor in Sweden definitly suffers because they are not 'forced' to speak or listen to swedish as most swedes speaks a pretty good english. Another reason is that the majority of the students in the dorm are from mostly from other parts of Europe and Asia (speaking english 90% of the time).

-Keitha