Chinese-Forums

Beihang University

epel_epon

@keitha,

were u accepted into both unis?

U said u mailed ur application to beishida.

Do they not accept email applications?

~Charles

I had to print out the online application for beishida and mail it with check/money and some more application material (not sure if I would call that an online application though, hehe). I don't know if accepted to beishida as I am still waiting for the answer.

Beihang university was 100% online/email and I paid the registration fee through a bank transfer (yuan, euro or USD worked fine). The information I got from beihangs online application system is:"Congratulations! Your application materials have been approved and you are pre-admitted"and they are going to mail me the visa documents to my home address. So I guess that I am accepted?

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Hey you all,

How is it at Beihang? I want to ge there for one semester to get my Chinese in shape. I've been studying Chinese for many years, have forgotten a lot recently. Last time when I took a 3 weeks Chinese course in Shanghai at Mandarin House I was the only one at my level, so they put me in a class that was way too easy for me. Beihang is much cheaper than BLCU, so I am afraid they may not have the courses that fit me. At least 中级下版 in reading comprehension. At the end I want to make the HSK 6 kaoshi.

So, anyone there who can tell me, which kind of classes are there?

Thnx in advance!

Dai Anna

I think we are at least three people on these forums that are attending beihang this fall. The thing is that we are all on level 1 and our first class is on Tuesday. So we can not answer questions regarding more advanced levels. The banking/markets etc. on campus is pretty much all done chinese, The staff I have met so far can not speak and have a hard time understanding English. They are very helpful though, they will even follow you to the place and make sure that your problems gets solved. So basically it is a good environment of learning chinese and close to the subway lines 13&10 if you need to get to the other parts of BJ.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in the foreign students dormitory, shared kitchen and bathroom but I have my own bedroom. The teachers are great and they prepare their lectures well. I am really happy that I picked Beihang. There is alot of people from Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Pakistan in this university. Definitly not European/US centered environment when it comes to foreign students. That said, you will be surrounded by chinese people everywhere here on campus, which is very positive thing for a language student.

EDIT:

The classes for beginners are very small. In my class we are about 5-10 people attending class (some people seem to skip alot of classes). We started out with two big classes but a few weeks they created more and smaller classes as we had some students arriving later.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I guess this post is pretty old but I don’t want to set up a new one. I have recently decided I want to go to Beijing to get my Chinese in shape (I’m a “beginner for life” not being able to jump further). I must admit that I have chosen Beihang mostly for the price as the difference in costs between Beihang and other unis would allow me to take additional summer course somewhere else and not only the semester in Beijing.

I would like to know as much as possible before I go there. How are the classes and teachers? How is the dorm and room (especially when taking into account such a low price for it)? I have seen that the electricity and water is not included in the rent, how much would that be for a month? What would you estimate a monthly cost of living would be? How close it is to the subway and classes? How many westerners are there? Well… in general anything you may tell me would be highly appreciated :)

I will be taking the summer semester so there is still time, however I like to be well prepared and I already can’t stop thinking about it :)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Asia

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

If I'm going with family and still want to live in the campus dormitory, do you think it will be allowed? Cannot afford to rent apartment outside the university. Also I hear there are two rooms in  one apartment shared by two doctoral students. Can we not pay the rent for the second room and retain the whole apartment? Do you think the international school helps in these matters?

I think it is possible to stay with family at the international dormitory no 1. There are many doctoral students who come with families. The apartment consists of two separate rooms with one shared kitchen and bathroom. If you want the whole apartment to would have to pay for both rooms (you may be lucky and not have anyone as a neigbourh but this dorms gets full quicky so I wouldn't count on that - also they would not give you the key to the other room anyway). The rooms are really small and have only one one-person bed so I don't think you would be able to fit a whole family inside one room. The international school can help you with that (it sometimes takes some time for them to reply to an e-mail but they do reply) and any questions you will have. Maybe there are special dorms for families (not sure I have only seen the international dormitories for exchange students).

• Like 1

thanks for replying, I will send an email once the CSC confirms the scholarship.right now only the university has sent my nomination to CSC for scholarship, don't know whether i will finally get it or not but i am worried about family accommodation.your response is encouraging though.

When do you think Beihang University will dispatch the official scholarship letter and documents for visa processing? They have already mentioned nominated students on their website but what are the chances that any of those nominated candidates will be rejected by CSC? I mean in which cases does CSC reject the student that the university has selected?