Chinese-Forums

Learning Mandarin and working in Shanghai?? Is this possible?

alexclara26

I have been planning to go to China for a long time now after I finish my degree, simply to learn Mandarin. Due to lack of funds, I will probably have to get a job teaching english. However, is it possible to work and learn the language in Shanghai? if so what are the best options?

All advice is welcomed.

You haven't said how you plan on studying Chinese, but it should be possible to do. It just depends on whether you can fit working and studying together timewise.

However, since you mention lack of funds, perhaps going to Shanghai is not the best option. The pay for teaching English doesn't vary much from city to city (although there could be quite a variation within any one given city), but costs of living are somewhat higher in Shanghai than other cities, so you may be better off going to a second-tier city, of which there are many in nice ones in China (eg. Xiamen, Qingdao, Dalian, etc.)

If you want to move to China really learn Chinese I would not start in Shanghai.

Studying and teaching at the same time can be done but it takes a lot of hard work. My point of view is that Shanghai is a place that is to easy not to speak Chinese.

If I were you I will look at a smaller city, teach in a University and spend the rest of your time studying. Thats what I have been doing and my Chinese has been slowly improving. :D

I agree with anonymoose and whereishunter. Doing both in Shanghai can be done, but it would certainly be easier in other cities, especially for newbies. But, to some degree, it also depends on your work ethic, personality, and other factors. The problem is, most of the factors that make Shanghai an appealing place to live are also factors that hurt one's ability to learn Mandarin.

Thanks for the advice, I definately thought this would be the case. However, I have decided to go to shanghai for three months, and then to another city afterwards where I can really begin to get to grips with the language.

so now im just trying to find the best places to get teaching jobs. Can anyone recommend these for Shanghai?also places to live etc

Thanks for the advice, its really useful