Chinese-Forums

Dalian - Nightlife...

evasiege

Basically I'm just wondering how the nightlife in Dalian is. I was thinking about going there for a language school during the summer and one of the major factors that it comes down to is nightlife. I'm not a party animal, but I like having things to do at night and during the weekends. I know it has a nice beech, but is the city interesting enough to walk around in(cool shops, restaurants etc)? The school I'm looking at is located about 30 minutes outside of the city, but that doesn't bother me too much. The only thing I really don't like is there isn't any historical or cultural Chinese stuff nearby. Can the city make up for it? If anyone has been to Dalian and can give me some insight it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by evasiege

• New Members

Nightlife is ok in Dalian. In the past years there have been new pubs & clubs opening up. Check out the Tibetan bar. I'd avoid JDs as in Olympic square as it can get pretty rough there. For a summer though the nightlife there is enough, though nowhere near as varied as in Beijing.

I lived there for the past year and a half(have moved now). There is enough nightlife to get by for a year or so. If you want more info on Dalian there are a few Dalian websites.

www.dalianxpat.com

www.daliandalian.com

www.dalianstuff.com

There could be more. I think its a great place to live as there are enough good bars and nice places to eat, but not too many. What university are you going to study at?

Don't know about nightlife in the Development Zone, but things are constantly changing. Quite a few acceptable bar's have mushroomed downtown Dalian, but like I said, I don't know much about the Development Zone. Check out the links above, post a question and I'm sure you'll get a friendly reply soon!

I knew a couple girls from Dalian and they were about 180cm tall. The girls sure do grow tall over there...yummy!

I hear that Dalian has good and cheap seafood. Also, I hear it's nice and laid back there, but nowhere near the nightlife you'd find in Beijing or Shanghai.

DDA is pretty tiny, around 400k people and easily walked in a few hours. If you're into nightlife the compactness of it makes everything fall in roughly the same spot called Five Colour City, just by the main lightrail stop, opposed to downtown where bars and clubs are spread out over quite a distance and rarely walkable.

Quite a close-knit community, more engineers and factory bosses than Chinese language students and English teachers, given the nature of the area.

The beach is about 20 minutes out by light rail, very nice beach.

If you're looking for a variety of restaurants, bars, clubs, DDA might disappoint - it's good for what it is, but too small to support a great variety of establishments.

Light rail downtown stops at 8pm. Night-taxis are 60 kuai on the meter from downtown to DDA after 10pm. There are pick-up points where they can be shared 15 kuai each with random strangers. Recommend you get to know a driver, or even rent an apartment downtown to use on the weekends - a small but OK (not too modern, but clean crash-pad) place will cost around 1000 kuai per month.

There's no traditional culture here. The closest thing to culture are the 'country style' restaurants, sticking a salty duck egg in some corn broth and chewing on shrimp skins. Dalian is a comfortable place to live, work, grow-up, study or retire. It's not an exciting city, best described as a regional hub.

In the summer the weather will be quite nice, if a little rainy in May/June.

Look around some local websites: http://daliandalian.com and http://dalianxpat.com

• 1 year later...

The No. one Club in Dalian is Alice Club it has combination Band and Dj and other great programms just try it out...

You can go in to a Taxi all know "Alice"

“Spectacular” The 11th Anniversary Party of Alice Club (the No. 1 Club for Foreigners) in Dalian on the 10th of July.

An Evening filled with great Performances, international Dancers, Singers what will surprise you, different Djs and much more.

For Reservation and more Information please call 0411 82546516