Chinese-Forums

Gardening Seeds in Beijing

cui ruide

Yeah, I can expect a few of the reactions to this subject, but my intentions are innocent... Could anyone point me to a document containing the regulations on personal shipped items? I'm wondering if I can get heirloom tomato seeds (for growing plants) shipped to me here in Beijing?

If not...does anyone know where I can get seeds in the city (and maybe gardening supplies, too)?

As regards bringing seeds in, see these two (especially the second).

http://www.grain.org/brl/?docid=75&lawid=2522

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/wjb/zzjg/jks/jkxw/t208625.htm

Sorry, I don't know Beijing well enough to direct you to local seed markets.

I have never tried to bring in seeds into China, as I'm convinced that they would be confiscated at customs, but I can definitely tell you where you can buy seeds and gardening supplies in Beijing. I'm an avid container gardener (you can check out my wee garden here).

Laitai Market is where you can find everything, from seeds to soils and fertilizers. They even carry Western herbs, including rosemary, thyme, spicy basil, and assorted mints. Make sure you check plants for insects and disease, there are no qualms about selling a naive customer a beautiful plant that turns out to be infested with aphids. The stock changes on a seasonal basis but if you are looking for seeds, they are currently stocking a lot of different vegetable seeds since this is probably the time that a lot of people are starting their gardens.

Laitai Flower Market 莱太花卉市场

9 Maizidian Xilu,

Nuren Jie

麦子店西路9号

6463-6554

www.laitai.com

info@laitai.com

6463-4556 (fax)

Open 9am-5:30pm

I've been coming in and out of China regularly for the last 13 years and have never been searched once. I've brought in herb seeds. My basil and rosemary are to die for.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

But technically illegal :(

So shoot me!

thanks for the information!! moderntime--your container garden is very inspiring! Can you get lots of vegetable seeds at the Laitai Market? Also, do you use tap water or bottled water? I've heard some grumbling that the tap water has quite a bit of pesticide runoff (in addition to metals and lead)?

Why would you want to bring seeds into China when you can probably get the best GMO seeds within China? :lol: Ever wondered why the vegetables appear incredibly colourful, uniform, large and strangely resistant to every disease or pest.:wink:

I grow my own crop here in Germany and I would also only buy seeds abroad if I lived in China...