Chinese-Forums

ZDT: unable to create new entry

fdimmling

I cannot add new entries to a category (Ctrl-N). Auto fill does nothing after entering the simplified character, and the Finish button is greyed out even after all fields are manually filled. Editing entries works. I am running ZDT on an Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system with java version "1.6.0_07".

Friedrich

I think once in a while I see that. Try making sure "auto-fill" is on, and try pasting into each field, starting with simplified. Eventually the finish button works.

Also, don't forget that if the word is in the dictionary, you can just drag and drop from the dictionary into a word list.

Thanks for your reply and the advice using Paste. I had used the SCIM IME provided by the Linux OS to fill the field for simplified characters which obviously does not work. It even prevents later pastes from being accepted. Scim has the advantage of handling quite a lot of multi character combinations. Anyway there is a way to use the Add-Entry function now.

Friedrich

I'm glad it's working for you.

I had used the SCIM IME provided by the Linux OS to fill the field for simplified characters which obviously does not work.

Why is that obvious? I just tried it and it worked for me.

Now if only I could figure out how to get it to do traditional, I'd be happy....

Why is that obvious? I just tried it and it worked for me.

Well, it just does not work on my system. Using SCIM works in the dictionary entry field but not in the New Entry entry fields. :(

For traditional characters I use Chewing.

Friedrich

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm able to shed some light on this question. It is possible to enter the way you do and to get the auto-fill to work, but you have to disable SCIM after inputting the simplified character. I think the default is control + space.

1. Enter simplified character

2. Nothing happens, finish is grayed out

3. Disable SCIM input

4. Enter something (like blank space, then backspace)

5. Auto-fill works, as well as pasting stuff

Sometimes I'm also enable to add a new entry or delete an old, but closing and opening the category always solves it. I rare cases I have to restart the program, but I've never encountered a problem that wasn't solved this way.

Hope it helps!

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I have the very same problem, but I don't use Linux or SCIM. I am using Windows 7 and so far every input method (I tried all which come with W7) does not work. I can add characters, but the program just won't let me save the entry. Only possiblity is to copy an entry and edit it. Any idea what might cause the problem?

Thanks a lot

B