Chinese-Forums

candy in your country

zozzen

It used to be that we only buy a candy in a store, and the DIY practitioner for candy is far lesser than cake and other desserts. I have a sweet tooth and always want to learn some skills about it.

Did anyone make candy? What kind of candy you made? Any special candy exclusively available in your country?

it looks like 花生酥 in a square form.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/2841732545_9b545d7951_o.jpg

I can imagine that a Scottish tablet is what i would feel regret every time i eat them, .....and have another one....yummy, and feel guilty again but have one more please.

Butter and condensed milk are just over addictive.

zozzen's remark reminds me how I first came to China in 1986 and to my delight they were selling M and Ms in the school's 小卖部 and I was so happy to see those M and M's. In those days there was very little to buy in terms of western treats.

zozzen's remark reminds me how I first came to China in 1986 and to my delight they were selling M and Ms in the school's 小卖部 and I was so happy to see those M and M's. In those days there was very little to buy in terms of western treats.

Not just M&Ms, I think Western candies has became the real competitive force to the traditional candy in China market now. At every supermarket they put a RMB1 gummy candy hanged around the cashier. Chupa Chups is as cheap as RMB0.5 and sold at every 小賣部. Rainbow lollipop with a small marshmallow decoration is the favorite of my friend's kids.

I can easily find out traditional candy like Peanut and sesame candies which is packed individually with a modern plastic bag, but it seems that they're far less enjoyable to kids now.

China:

At every supermarket they put a RMB1 gummy candy hanged around the cashier

oh yes, I'm very familiar with these

In china I really like 高粱饴 which is a nice chewy candy that isn't super sweet. (well, according to me at least). (edit: oooh here's a recipe )

Even though there are street venders that sell this type of stuff, I think carmelizing sugar and making popcorn balls are fun. Actually anything w/ carmelized sugar sounds good to me!...I always wanted to make rice crispy treats in China but all the marshmellows i could find were too hello kitty'd out...and that scared me.

As for in the US: Goshdarnit, I've seriously overdosed on cadbury eggs and marshmellow peeps lately. I loooove easter candy more than ANY other season. However, for now on the

is enemy number one! I swear no more eggs any more! (However, IF there were cadbury eggs in China I would NOT have had to made up for so much lost time...they are only around once a year afterall:mrgreen:) Edited by heifeng

I don't make candy and I don't eat much of it. But one thing I like, and that's quite easy to do at home: Sugared Almonds easy to find in Germany in winter, there known as "Gebrannte Mandeln".

I am too lazy to look it up now, but from memory I think it was:

Almonds

Sugar

Cinnamon (powder)

A little water (only if you use microwave)

mix all. Put in the microwave for a moment. WATCH IT! Take it out and stir it so they don't stick together in one big lump.