Chinese-Forums

to like A more than B...

LuBaerte

hello,

Last saturday in school we were discussing about how to translate the following sentence, and if possible a sentence with the wordt bi3 比 as in "wo3 bi3 ni3 gao1":

"I like riding my bike more than walking" :D

Can anyone give the best traduction for this please?

Thanks!

Here's my try:

骑自行车 ride a bike & the two ways to say walking:走路 & 去散步 (the tricky part is 走路 can also be used to mean being transported as in 骑着自行车走路, or even 骑着自行车去散步-----or expand it as in: 要么两条腿走路,要么骑自行车走路 :mrgreen: )

So:

Q:你们觉得走路好还是骑自行车好? (or you can replace 好 with 方便 convenient)

A:我呢?比走路更喜欢骑自行车

Me?I like riding my bike better than walking (or simply replace 走路 with 去散步)

or:

A:我认为骑自行车比走路更好/方便的多 ---I think 骑自行车 is a lot more convenient than 去散步/走路

or 我觉得骑自行车比走路更方便 which translates as: I feel/think riding a bike is more convenient than walking

"I like riding my bike more than walking"

I would rather take the english sentence into two parts and translate them separately."和走路相比,我更喜欢骑车." or "跟走路比起来,我更愿意骑车"

of course, you can use one sentence to express the same meaning. 比走路更喜欢骑车 there's nothing wrong with it per se, but i wouldn't call it standard expression. sure, you can use it in casual conversation, but this expression sounds a little awkward to me, especially when written down.

A:我呢?比走路更喜欢骑自行车

Is this standard? It sounds pretty strange to me...normally I understand 我比X更喜欢Y to mean I like Y more than X does, i.e. 我 and X are being compared. Is my understanding wrong?

A:我认为骑自行车比走路更好/方便的多 or 我觉得骑自行车比走路更方便

These sound much better. 我觉得骑自行车比走路好 is what I'd say.

edit: I notice 脚车 isn't even listed as a variant in Chinese dictionaries, even though it's standard usage in Singapore and Malaysia. Funny.