Chinese-Forums

What to eat with rice?

realmayo

you can also put rice and many ingredients into a rice cooker together, so you don't have to spend extra time to make a dish.

Google a word "煲仔飯" and put what they use into your cooker.

The taste will be very different than using a mud-made bowl, but it's good anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
But China is the worlds largest consumer of potatoes (by far), matching the country's production output.

Apparently this is set to continue. I just heard from a potato machinery maker that last year, spurred on by the financial gains of growing potatoes, many farmers had increased yields which then meant the price has come down. Also the Chinese government announced yesterday it was increasing subsidies for potato production which reflects a continuing need (with a market driven economy this is probably estimated more accurately nowadays). But this of course would only be of interest if you work in the sector... Incidentally, I have just set my early-middle potatoes in anticipation of world war III :lol: Home grown are best!

To add to the potato debate, a friend of mine I met in Germany was from the north of China, and they have several typical potato dishes (I remember eating one where the potato is cut into long noodle-like strings, tastes a bit sour/spicy).

Anyway, once she went to a Chinese restaurant in Munich and asked the waiter if they had this particular potato dish from the north, and proceeded to explain how it is made, and all that.

The waiter (apparently, not Chinese) looked at her condescendingly and said "You know, this is a Chinese restaurant"?

She was quite upset :mrgreen:

Last night, with some friends, I ate in our local Muslim Chinese restaurant here in South China.

Main dish was 大盘鸡 dà pán jī - chicken and potatoes - a Xinjiang favourite.

• 7 months later...

You can do all sorts in a rice cooker, including steaming - that is fairly standard - most rice cookers come with a steamer tray. It can also double as a slow cooker.

I've made jam in mine!