Chinese-Forums

Did anyone learn uncommon language?

zozzen

My name RuiXue is indeed 瑞雪. It's a name a Chinese friend gave me some years ago. First character of my homecountry Sweden 瑞典 and the 雪 for our cold and sometimes snowy winters:D I mostly just use 珍妮 in China though, due to my in-laws not knowing about my by a friend given Chinese name:lol:

But that's OT:lol:

Swedish uncommon? Not At All. Among the, say, 5000 or 6000 languages of the world, it ranks just below #100 in number of speakers.

I have spent one full university semester on Sanskrit. Just one more year, sometime in the future, and I should manage my favourite author Kalidasa in the original. Otherwise, I’m mostly picking languages to study from the top of the lists. When I was younger and healthier, I aimed at all of the top 20. My present horizon is way more modest.

Lugubert just said it for me.... But you know even Germans like to think their language is endangered sometimes.... because of some English buzzwords in ads or something...

9 million speakers, national language of a EU member country, I'd say you're safe... och det är bra :mrgreen: !

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, If I'm allowed to call Norwegian an uncommon language (and I think I can do that, more rightly so than Swedish at least), yes.

I also picked up some Hainanese last time I visited Hainan, and I've been thinking about learning some more, but good textbooks are almost impossible to come by. Even in Mandarin. I also have a lot of Uyghur friends, and since I have some experience with Arabic and already have the script down, I've been thinking about trying to learn some Uyghur. They actually offer Uyghur courses at my college, so I might try and sign up for a course next semester, but we'll see if I can find time for it...