Chinese-Forums

'Dr Eye' Style Program For Simplified Chinese

柯賜海

I'm living in Taiwan and I have found the 'Dr Eye' translation to be of great assistance in improving my reading. I'm looking for something similar for simplified chinese as my program can't seem to read it..perhaps due to my still using an English system.

I need something that can give a pinyin reading and a translation of a word as I move my cursor over it. Someone mentioned one but I can remember it's name..金something.

Thanks

also...bittorrent links would be nice

Are you talking about 金山詞霸.net? I haven't really used it so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it's the only thing with a name that starts with 金 that I know of that may suit your needs.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for not being able to answer your question - im writing with a question fo my own :D

are you using Dr Eye on an English based Windows? Is it XP? Cause its bloody fantastic, i know, but I've heard that it only works on a Chinese based system

thanks for your help:

travis

I did some looking into this a while ago while developing a small Windows dictionary application. The issue is that Windows basically lacks support for cross-program mouseover. The only API that can handle it is obscure, difficult to implement and largely undocumented. I have no idea how Dr. Eye does what they do -- but it isn't trivial.

Most programs offering mouseover annotation require you to load the text into an environment they control. For offline Word documents and other files Kingsoft (金山) is probably what you want. Mainland academic networks are awash with copies and there are FTP search engines as well if you want to try before buying.

For online material you have more options. Differences boil down to layout, dictionary size and source, and organization and presentation of data. Micah Sittig used to have a java-driven annotator (I think), but I can't seem to find it online now. Another nicely designed one sits on the CEDICT/Unihan databases:

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict_welcome.php

I routinely flog my own project too, online at the address below. It has the largest database I know of, and is downloadable and quite fast under Linux. It can be tricky to install though. Many pinyin entries have also been computer generated. Errors are fixed as I or others notice them. Users can also add words, edit definitions, yadda, yadda, yadda....

http://www.adsotrans.com

FWIW, I'd also love to have software with this feature. And if anyone reading can provide code to grab mouseover text using Visual Basic I'd be happy enough to provide a dictionary app that supports this feature.